Today’s Pattern Story

by Erin on February 8, 2010

McCalls 8335

Pink: Boo-yah! Let's get this party started! Holla back!

Blue: I hate this part of the movie, when I'm no longer queen bee. It's almost like being blonde is a handicap these days. Sheesh. I remember when I got to wear pink and go sleeveless. That's it, when this take is over I'm coloring my hair. Screw continuity, I'd be a fantastic redhead.

Gray: Ptarmigan. How'd that "p" get there? I wonder if that key grip would know?

[Special not-so-secret shoutout: Happy birthday, Mom!]

Dee Dee Warren February 8, 2010 at 6:27 am

I really love the colour block potential. I think I might have to pick this pattern up.(heya Erin, this is Caryn from Carynification)

Gail February 8, 2010 at 7:02 am

How old is this pattern? Im sure that I made this dress in the 60s when I was dating my husband. I can remember wearing it when I took him to meet my parents. That involved a plane trip and I wore the dress on the plane.

Lydia February 8, 2010 at 7:40 am

This is the best sort of pattern. Simple, but allows for creative use of fabric and color mixing. Can be dressed up or down. With a bit of alteration of neckline and armholes, could be made in wool for a winter jumper.PERFECT.

Packrat February 8, 2010 at 7:48 am

Happy birthday to your mom!Funny, I dont remember this pattern, but I had a short-sleeved dress just like it.

Becky of Becky Blue J February 8, 2010 at 8:08 am

Love this.I miss darling illustrations on patterns.

evalyn February 8, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Wow, look at that bust/waist/hip dart. Havent seen one that long since 1966. Im prety sure I sewed this dress for a Homecoming dance in forset green veleveteen with sheer white sleeves.

Cookie February 8, 2010 at 3:54 pm

These patterns provide the best avatars! I have a huuuuge gallery of them now, and theyre floatingf all over the Internet. Pink is definitely getting cropped, then released on the world! Her stance is really NOW and WITH IT (circa 1962), isnt it? And her hairs totally SWINGIN.I like this pattern in the sleeveless version. Would be very cute in a Liberty lawn, of course…though I am suddenly seeing everything not just in WHITE, as is my wont, but in white piqu. I think because Ive been reading all the Perry v. Schwarzenegger (marriage equality) transcripts, and thats what my moms wedding dress was made of.

anna February 8, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Key Grips just might know that sort of thing!

Pattern Junkie February 9, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Ooh, I have this pattern in my collection somewhere. If I remember its a heartbreaker — a piece missing or not in my size, and I know Ill never get around to re-grading or drafting. Really adorable — I like the subtle bias thing going on with Pinks bodice there!

Kelly February 9, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Very cute pattern.. and Happy Birthday Erins Mom!

Larissa February 10, 2010 at 10:33 am

you inspired me to go find this pattern for sale and purchase it. thanks! (well see if it turns into something wearable for me)

Ellie Finlay February 11, 2010 at 6:50 am

Love it! I made a dress almost exactly like the long-sleeved version of this back in 1970, I think, to wear to a wedding. It was an aqua and white paisley print. (Sounds kind of awful, doesnt it, but, trust me, it was quite nice.)