Okay, Karl, Just This Once

by Erin on February 16, 2010

Fendi Spring 2010 dress

Aside from the belt, the fringe, the shoes-slash-lucite-hooves, and the expression on the model's face (which can only be described as "I am smelling something bad while thinking about completing my overdue tax return"), this is one lovely dress. The neckline, the midriff band, the fantastic fabric which I can almost *touch* through the computer screen …

And it's by that certified wackaloon, Lagerfeld (for Fendi)! I swear, I love to read about Lagerfeld. If there were a Lagerfeld News Weekly I would be a charter subscriber. Nothing about him surprises me. Bathes in a mixture of V8 and ball bearings? That's for amateurs. Can't sleep unless a minion is doing wheelies on a dirt bike up and down the parqueted hall? Pffft. Hardly even eccentric. He's been hired to decorate a secret lair on Skullcrusher Mountain, take pictures of the process for a coffee-table book, and compose a chamber-music piece for an oboe sextet for the grand opening? Please, the man does that every third Tuesday. Lagerfeld would have to build an army of robot kittens that breathe fire and knit alpaca socks before I would even raise an eyebrow.

And yet it still surprises me when I like something he's designed! You go, Karl. Love ya, baby. Don't ever change.

Catanea February 17, 2010 at 1:21 am

Yes, it is a beautiful dress. I bought two identical black fringed shawls, once. Maybe its time to sew them together and add pockets. (I wish I thought Id fit into Karls jeans, though.)

The Woolly Mammoth February 17, 2010 at 4:48 am

That dress is rather beautiful, although I think I may have to shorten the hem to knee-length though.

Allie February 17, 2010 at 5:22 am

OMG, Erin, I love you.

the guilty party February 17, 2010 at 5:24 am

I agree, Wolly Mammoth, that is an awkward length. Of course, this is Karl, and he probably doesnt want to hear from ordinary folks (I think he probably calls us creatures or land dwellers or something) about how its impossible to find a jacket whose proportions work with this, or about it makes us look a bit like a nun.I actually like the belt and the fringing, though.

Jen Thompson February 17, 2010 at 5:26 am

LOL! Priceless post! I watched documentaries about Karl and Chanel all weekend. I think they need to start a Lagerfeld channel on TV – 24/7 of Karl being Karl. Id sure as hell watch!And yes, the dress is absolutely stunning! I wouldnt change a thing.

Janel February 17, 2010 at 6:56 am

lol I agree with everything you said, except the fringe. I LOVE the fringe.Thanks for another great dress!

beangirl February 17, 2010 at 7:32 am

You know, the thing about Fendi is… I never want to like Fendi, but I frequently find that I do. Theyre obviously doing something right (perhaps despit Karl the Wack Master… er… hmm… Wack Master is perhaps an unfortunate turn of phrase…)

Nathalie February 17, 2010 at 7:32 am

I love the fringe, the length and even the belt. Id do without the shoes though.

Holly February 17, 2010 at 8:27 am

if anyone knows of a pattern that mimics this dress, i would love to know about it. or suggestions on keywords to use to search for this pattern. my garment vocabulary is not so broad. thanks :)

Sara February 17, 2010 at 9:25 am

Before my daughter was born, I had been reading Vogue cover to cover for about 20 years. I was always up on all the designers. I miss it, it was fun. What a funny post!

Lauriana February 17, 2010 at 9:27 am

Great post! I actually like the belt, but I would want the dress to be shorter and loose the trim. About Lagerfeld, well, I know lots of craft bloggers love to hate him and, love or hate, its always a treat to read stories about him. However, lets not forget that this is also the man responsible for keeping Lesage (the embroidery house) and other one-of-a-kind couture workshops in business. Lots of craft and skill which would otherwise have been lost forever.

AEBL February 17, 2010 at 9:39 am

Thanks for the laugh this morning.:D Lagerfeld is entertaining, but mostly crazy.@Holly, some search words that might help: peasant top, cap sleeves, corset style waistline, and bias cut skirt. (Although, Im not really sure about the skirt.)

Evelyn February 17, 2010 at 11:05 am

Great post. I watched the documentary Valentino this weekend. At one point, at Vs big celebration with the entire couture world in attendance, the audio caught Karl whispering to Valentino, Compared to us, the rest of them make rags! True of Valentino, but I dont believe that Karl is worthy to shine his shoes!

belphebe February 17, 2010 at 11:37 am

A Jonathan Coulton reference! Fantastic! I missed my chance to see him perform live because I didnt buy a ticket soon enough. Darn!And that is a lovely dress.I wonder what kind of outfit Lagerfield would put on the half-monkey, half-pony monster?

riva February 17, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I would so love to own that dress. Fringe and all!

Joni February 17, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I would take the fringe off and use it for my surrey…

fripperie February 17, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Im in the keep-the-fringe camp. The belt, i could do without…

Claudine February 17, 2010 at 4:54 pm

this post is so hilarious that I had to read it out loud to dh. I, too, am riveted by Lagerfeld.

Jocelyn H. Chilvers February 17, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Amen, sister!

Cel Petro February 17, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Ill be so sad when you have to stop writing this blog because youre busy doing commentary for Fashion Week, Red Carpet events, busy, busy, et al. It is a perfectly delectable dress, maybe not the fringe, but, yum.

lucitebox February 17, 2010 at 7:26 pm

I always mean to dress at The Kaiser for Halloween and forget. Im not sure I could act weird enough!What a fabulous post!

A. February 17, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Im sure Uncle Karl would find me quite demode, but its on my life list to attend one of the chanel couture grande atelier shows he masterminds. Did you see that article on him a few years ago now where in the middle, nonchalantly, a manservant brings him a protein drink because he doesnt really eat food? LOVE HIM.

Anonymous February 18, 2010 at 12:25 pm

A little off topic but have people here checked out the Keepsake quilting werbsite? They have very good qualitly fabric and their novelty fabrics may be just what people are looking for.http://www.keepsakequilting.com/products/U3/U5/U5.L12/Novelty.htm

Alice February 19, 2010 at 6:21 am

Im with you on all accounts. With the exceptions you mentioned, this dress looks like it was made just for me–well the me 15 years ago, not the current me who could not do that beautiful midriff band justice. And I love the length, love having something swirling around my legs, very feminine.

wundermary February 19, 2010 at 9:16 am

I dont care for the accessories. But, I am all for this dress. This could be made in several colors and become the uniform for summer.

Anonymous February 19, 2010 at 9:54 am

Now, now. Those are the nicest stripper shoes Ive seen in a while. Much nicer than the ones my cousin wore at her wedding. –Karen

Jen February 19, 2010 at 10:14 am

Isnt this really a rather typical 80s dress, minus the shoulder pads?There are many sewing patterns like this with a midriff panel (if you can see past the shoulder pads), or buy one ready made, 80s vintage.

Anonymous February 19, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Echoing Jen– I have a couple of patterns (McCalls Vogue IIRC) from the 80s that are quite similar to this dress. Really like this style even with the belt and fringe.

kariann February 19, 2010 at 5:23 pm

And POCKETS!

YYZ February 19, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Its like you are in my BRAIN! I feel exactly the same way about dear old Karl. Why do I have so much time for Galliano and so little for Karl? They are both certifiable, but clearly Galliano has made a handy deal with the devil, enabling him to turn out delectable collection after delectable collection. Like you, I am astonished if Uncle Karl makes even one thing a season that appeals to me.For me, in this shot, its the shoes. Love me a hoof-like lucite ankle-wrap sandal!

Lavon February 19, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Totaly agree!

Louise February 20, 2010 at 3:49 am

I love Karl, even though he often spews forth supremely offensive comments. And while he doesnt bring me joy the way Galliano does, I still think he is one of the best out there. His Chanel collections usually have several frocks that rock my world.Thanks for the funny post.

EdgyJuneCleaver February 20, 2010 at 6:29 pm

So years ago, like 1977 Lagerfeld was a young designer at Chloe and my mother made me a fab dress (Vogue pattern/Chloe) which is so reminscent of this dress I was a little choked up. I loved that dress and had I given it thought would have saved the pattern.

Prim Knickers February 21, 2010 at 12:43 pm

haha amazing post! I really hope the midriff panel stays around for a while, so flattering.

Lizzie February 21, 2010 at 12:50 pm

My name is Lizzie and I have a confession:I love Karl.I love what he does at Fendi, and I especially love what he does at Chanel.There, Im glad my secret is out!

farah butt February 21, 2010 at 1:25 pm

I have a seen ur work its realy appreciated.its very beneficial for me.its full of filled with information.I hope other people will gain things from here.info@wfash.com

sil February 22, 2010 at 9:30 am

I think we can thank one of his assistants for sneaking that one into the show.Maybe we can find a copy of this book?http://www.blackbookmag.com/article/karls-ex-assistant-on-the-kaiser-an-unbelievable-narcissist/7641

Im Estee February 23, 2010 at 12:21 am

I agree. Its a beautiful dress

Sheila / Out of the Ashes Collectibles February 24, 2010 at 8:38 am

Give that girl a double cheeseburger and extra large fries! Sheesh! Put some weight on!

Imran Malik February 26, 2010 at 1:04 pm

WOW WHAT A BEAUTY I LIKE YOURS CHOICE THANK YOUVERY MUCH FOR NICE BLOG. TAKE CARE,BEST WISHES. SEE MY WORLDS BEST COOL PHOTOS BANK!NOW COLLECTION OF WORLDS BEST PHOTOSIN ONE PLACE.I am interested to link exchange if you agree then visit my blogNOW VISIT ALL MY BLOG AND ENJOYCOOL PHOTOS BANKWORLDS BEST DREAMY PHOTOSNATURE OF GODWORLDS BEST WILDLIFE PHOTOSHOT HOT DESIVINTAGE DESIMYSTERY OF LIFEFOR UR COMPUTERTIPS AND TRICK OF CELL PHONEART OF LIFEFASHION OF LIFEDREAMY HEALTHFEATURE TECHNOLOGYPHOTOS WARSECRET OF EARN MONEY ONLINEFOR LINK EXCHANGE CONTACT:- malikimrana1@gmail.com

Vintage February 27, 2010 at 1:01 am

I love the dress, i think there is no need to make any changes. Its is simply fabulous.

Anonymous February 27, 2010 at 4:51 am

http://gongfu.com.ua – Visit us or die! iojulmvcc

Linda B February 27, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Wow! you hit it right on the head….why do those models…male and female…always look as thought they had been sucking lemons or smelling something not quite right…or the worst when they look one step from suicide. I do love that dress, tho.