Today’s Pattern Pros and Cons, and Sale

by Erin on April 14, 2010

Simplicity 2959

Pros:

Shawl collar (love!)
Pockets (duh, love!)

Swishy-swishy skirt (all those little gathers, love!)
Buttons (love that placket!)
Cons:
Model on left has no eyes, like I've seen on eighty-kajillion science-fiction shows — yet it scares me every time. NO EYES, people! (Dr Who, I'm especially looking at you. And not just because your new incarnation is cute as a button, Mr. Fish Custard Man.)

Model on the right looks as if she's calculating exactly the right angle of entry she'll need to remove your liver with a hairpin. Either that or she's checking out the photographer's assistant. Not sure which — possibly both.
All right then — more pros than cons! So if you'd like this pattern, click on the link; this pattern (and all the other ones) on Michelle's Patterns from the Past are on sale — 15% off through the end of April. Use the code SPRING.

bani April 14, 2010 at 2:31 am

Feck, that was gorgeous. The dress I mean. Ive actually clicked on the link, even though I havent sewed with a pattern in all my life.

Rachel April 14, 2010 at 4:53 am

Thats probably the best photo Matt Smith has ever taken…IMO hes not as good looking as David Tennant, but then I didnt like him when he took over and he grew on me.

bani April 14, 2010 at 6:32 am

I still have the delights of Matt Smith ahead of me, as we are a little behind here, trapped under the yoke of BBC Entertainment. :(I saw this fabric online and thought of Erin: http://www.stoffochstil.se/Katalog/Bolig.aspx?group_id=7106articleid=26220

Beth Dunn April 14, 2010 at 6:41 am

Love that dress!xoxoSC

Latter-Day Flapper April 14, 2010 at 7:56 am

Shes calculating the angle shell need to remove the photographers assistants liver and sell it on the black market.She has that freaky Tinkerbells-evil-twin thing going on. Pixie face, scary stare.

Anonymous April 14, 2010 at 8:06 am

I dont care that green dress is looking to remove someones liver. I LOVE the dress. Its very similar to one Ive been planning for a while now. I found the black with white polka dot fabric and have been waffling back and forth between shirtdress with full skirt or separates. –Karen

Suzanna April 14, 2010 at 9:56 am

I think I actually prefer him in bow tie and tweeds… Then again, my love for the Doctor might have more to do with the spaceship!Also: Pockets! I might buy this one…Is there any way to wear a tweed dress without looking like a librarian/schoolgirl?

Sheila / Out of the Ashes Collectibles April 14, 2010 at 10:18 am

Those pockets – cute but useless! They wouldnt even hold a surgical knife to liver removal

Anonymous April 14, 2010 at 10:59 am

http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2010/01/29/dita-von-teese-front-row-jean-paul-gaultier-spring-2010-couture/A tweed dress thats neither librarian or schoolgirl… however, its not a look I could pull off!

fabricgirl April 14, 2010 at 11:06 am

I love this! Id buy the pattern and re-grade it to fit, BUT — only the bodice is there! What I want is the interesting pocket insert into the skirt side fronts. I have nothing like this; guess Ill have to add it to the ebay search list.

MEW April 14, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Erin,Just found this website and immediately thought of you. Enjoy!http://ifshoescouldkill.com/

Theresa April 14, 2010 at 1:03 pm

beautiful pattern. Do not think new Dr. Who is cute at all -blech! To each her own though!Thanks for the funny post.

Theresa April 14, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Question?Who in the world has a 29 inch bust! Good Lord!

seesaw April 14, 2010 at 1:13 pm

awe truly beautiful.

Lindsey in AL April 14, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Oooh! So, so pretty! I especially love the green with the little white dots, so Id invariably be disappointed when whatever fabric I used wasnt dark green with white dots. I get your fear of the eyeless SciFi people, but the thing that still scares me when I think of it is an episode of The Twilight Zone where a girl had no MOUTH! I think her little brother wished it away; it was a really long time ago that I saw it. Scared the beejeepers out of me. Even scarier than the thought of Doctor Who without David Tennant. Shudder.

Oldpatterns April 14, 2010 at 3:06 pm

The pattern I had is sold! Here is a link to a dealer who has the complete pattern. http://cemetarian.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=200=SID#MOREINFOor put a wishlist in the vintage pattern wiki in case another one shows up somewhere else in the size you are looking for. http://vintagepatterns.wikia.com/wiki/Simplicity_2959Regards – Michelle owner of Patterns from the Past

Anonymous April 15, 2010 at 1:33 am

no eye And no noses!!!

YYZ April 15, 2010 at 6:30 pm

David Tennant will always be The Doctor for me, though, no matter how cute this new Matthew Whatsits is! :)

Theresa April 15, 2010 at 7:34 pm

and 29 busts! Even scarier!

Jhon David April 16, 2010 at 12:29 am

Fantastic Continue my friend

Joel April 16, 2010 at 3:00 am

awesome dress.http://dress.ph/

Jenny April 16, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Why WOULDNT you want to look like a librarian in your tweed dress? Personally I have no higher aspiration.

Denise April 18, 2010 at 11:55 am

Big Con: I will never ever have legs as long as the women on patterns. Not fair.

Solo April 19, 2010 at 12:26 am