Not Used Except For Pocket

by Erin on April 23, 2010

Vogue 8122

"Not Used Except For Pocket" — that may, in fact, be my epitaph. (Wouldn't that look good on a gravestone? It's surprising how much time I spend thinking about my grave marker considering that I intend to be cremated, isn't it?)

Anyway, memento mori schemento mori, look at this pattern! It's lovely (even if the pic is a bit fuzzy). I likes it. And I want to know why someone opened it up and only used the pocket. Imagine how good the other, pocketless dress had to be to be more worth sewing than this one!

This one is on sale from Penny at Antique Dollhouse of Patterns — she's offering 35% of through Sunday (Paypal orders only, though). So you can browse through her site until you find the pattern that's annotated with "Used — No Pocket Piece", right?

Oh, and here's an idea: who wants to start assembling a "found poetry" page on the Vintage Patterns Wiki based on things written on pattern envelopes? With almost 28,000 (!) patterns, there must be a number of interesting notes to choose from!

quinn April 23, 2010 at 7:34 am

Im wondering what is so amazing about this pocket!Does it have secret compartments?A lock, and fingerprint recognition entry?Is it a portal to another universe??

Sigrid April 23, 2010 at 9:16 am

A devil to sew but results fantastic is my all time favorite found poetry on a pattern envelope.

Joni April 23, 2010 at 9:32 am

My favorite pattern notation was found on the cover of that 1950s mens pajamas/nightshirt pattern: Too large for Jim. Oh, Jim, you poor sap… your wife thinks youre not big enough, you know, in the bedroom.

Pattern Junkie April 23, 2010 at 11:56 am

I LOVE pattern notations! I think a found poetry category is pure genius — I already spend too much time on the vintage wiki, I might start marking that new category.Two of the best notations Ive found are God-awful big neck and goofy great (on separate patterns.) There was also an adamant No pockets!! once — on a pattern that had pockets.

Cookie April 23, 2010 at 1:25 pm

In The Power of Style, Pauline Trigre is shown wearing a dress like that in black satin, as shes lighting candles on her dinner table. (I imagine she was expecting guests, but who knows?) Her hair is pulled back in a twist and she wears a double strand, pearl choker. Im a little neutral on the dress, but Pauline would have liked this pattern!

dulcet April 23, 2010 at 2:34 pm

That pattern brought to mind a cut of brocade stowed away in a dresser at my Moms house. Its an orange background with gold flowers. Maybe Ill ask her what it was intended for.

Lisa @ the Vintage Fashion Library April 23, 2010 at 7:36 pm

That is a fabulous pattern! And did you know that the wiki is now the fifteenth largest wiki? I personally think thats pretty awesome, and we owe a big debt of gratitude to Petite Main and Tarna.

Johanna April 23, 2010 at 8:13 pm

That is a classic comment on the envelope! Makes me want to start my own feedback right on the packet, instead of using a separate notebook….

Vegan April 23, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Not quite poetry or a comment, but I once found a little scrap of boucle with a bound buttonhole on it tucked into a 1950s coat pattern! It seems the sewist was practicing her bound buttonholes before making the coat!

Miri April 24, 2010 at 4:37 am

I need some new patterns, thanks for the heads up =)Mystique-Glamour

Anonymous April 24, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Idea for the found poetry title:Im seeing a pattern here…

Leslie April 26, 2010 at 7:25 am

Youve inspired me to begin making notations of my own patterns. I really like that its dated (and that happens to be the year my parents got married).

Theresa April 26, 2010 at 11:23 am

that is one sexy dress!

Sheila / Out of the Ashes Collectibles April 27, 2010 at 11:32 am

My favorite poetry is written on a pattern I have that says Dont loan to Beth – wow she must have done something bad! Wish I had time to help you Erin – it would be quite fun to contribute but not to run for me!

Lynn April 28, 2010 at 9:51 am

I have been loving your vintage patterns. The old measurements are wild. 38 inches size 20! 34 inches, size 16!

MinaW April 30, 2010 at 11:57 pm

Erin – about your grave-marker thoughts – a hospice volunteer told me that for those intending cremation, there should be markers anyway for the benefit of genealogy researchers…