The Dress of My Dreams. Literally.

by Erin on June 28, 2010

McCalls_8998

I love this pattern. Someone sent me the link last week (can't find the email, if it was you, please claim credit in the comments) and I've been thinking about it ever since.

In fact, I woke up the other morning having dreamt that I had bought and sewn this pattern (in a green-and-white gingham) and that it was hanging on the back of my sewing-room door. It wasn't … wish it had been!

Do you have sewing-related dreams? I find that if I don't sew when I'm awake, after a while I will start to I sew while I'm asleep. Either I make stuff like this (and am REALLY DISAPPOINTED when I wake up), or I have dreams where I make impossible things, like soap-bubble ballgowns. Once in a dream I made a skirt of a fabric that was made of dimes, melted and beaten thin, but with Roosevelt's face still visible. (In the dream it wasn't heavy.)

Josie June 28, 2010 at 6:53 am

What a gorgeous dress! I would love to make this without the collar (and maybe a version with a slight v-neck) and with inset pockets. Also, I am kind of jealous of your sewing dreams.

vintagekitchenkitsch June 28, 2010 at 7:13 am

Yes, I do dream about sewing. Unfortunately I think more about sewing than I ever have time to actually sew. This dress rocks. It reminds me of a Swirl dress but it has such beautiful shaping. How about black and white gingham with yellow trim? : )

Clara Erickson June 28, 2010 at 7:45 am

I am in the process of sewing / designing my wedding dress, and just had an odd dream about it. (and found it quite coincidental that you posted about dreaming about sewing this morning) Besides flying kites in swirling fog, I saw myself sewing the dress using another pattern I had made. It used darts instead of princess seams, and I woke up sure that I wanted darts instead of princess seams, until i thought about it some.

Jen O June 28, 2010 at 8:25 am

This is a neat pattern. I love the pocket details, and yup, I think it looks like a ‘Swirl’ wrap dress too. That wrapped back would really make for a perfect fit, wouldn’t it.

sewistafashionista June 28, 2010 at 8:38 am

I once dreamt that I was sewing a continual seam. I kept seeing the material passing under the feed dogs but I never got to the end of the fabric. The dream never changed from start to finish and I got a bit bored. Who knows what that says about my inner psyche?

cb June 28, 2010 at 9:17 am

the pattern is great! i just made a gingham skirt yesterday that i have yet to post about. i love gingham! i hope you are able to make it, it is a perfect summer fabric :D

fabricgirl June 28, 2010 at 9:31 am

When I’ve been super busy there’s been a dream I’ve had a couple of times that I woke up with a dozen pins in my mouth (I’m guilty of holding pins in my mouth as I sew ). In the dream I would argue with myself about how safe it was to sleep like that, and ultimately decide it was okay to go back to sleep.
Other than that, I dream of fabric – a lot. And vintage patterns that don’t exist.

Emma June 28, 2010 at 12:04 pm

I have dreams of my mother making me clothes- lots and lots of mod and futuristic clothes from the ’60s. (I have never had any interest in sewing- I should though because then I could make these babies myself) Those dresses are just the best things ever… in a 13 year old girl’s mind. (:

SewDucky! June 28, 2010 at 3:48 pm

When I dream about sewing, it’s time for me TO sew. Unfortunately right now, I need to find an old electric short shank since I will have no access to a machine once I move.

Mary Stump in North Carolina June 28, 2010 at 5:49 pm

After a year-long search, this very dress pattern finally appeared on etsy.com in my size!!!! It is my dream dress too! I have black and white gingham fabric and will be cutting it out this week. I call it my Ethel Mertz dress since she wore so many similar ones on I Love Lucy. I plan to make one in a little heavier fabric (and without the collar)for fall and utilize a lightweight turtleneck under it. Hope you find your size soon!

www.google.com/accounts/o8/id?id=AItOawnhO2m5KpWPnfAzq1FeaAEyEyyysvGbJRs June 28, 2010 at 6:27 pm

I haven’t had any sewing dreams yet (I’m about 9,500 hours short of the mastery level) but I’ve had several where I find magical vintage dresses (and once a whole shop full of Victorian undergarments and sleepwear) and you arrive home to find your bag empty, and the shop has disappeared.
Now when I buy something, I really do look in the bag as I leave to make sure it’s real! I can’t help it…

PatternJunkie June 28, 2010 at 8:19 pm
Doris June 28, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Do daydreams count? I drool over sewing blogs and websites.

Little Black Car June 29, 2010 at 5:29 am

I love wrap dresses. I made Simplicity 4015 (1952) a year or so ago. I wasn’t sure I’d like it at first, but now that I’ve been wearing it awhile, I’ll definitely use it again.

Deborah June 29, 2010 at 7:56 am

SOAP BUBBLE BALLGOWN!!! Awesome.

Cookie June 29, 2010 at 12:04 pm

I adore this pattern. It looks so clean and optimistic in that white print!

Bellafabric June 30, 2010 at 3:46 pm

When I was in grad school, 15 years ago, I dreamt that I was chasing pattern pieces down the sidewalk. I couldn’t catch them. I remember that dream as vivid as ever. Ten years later, I went into the vintage home-arts business.

Lynn July 1, 2010 at 6:21 am

Last year I had a dream in which I was wearing a red bandanna print dress (not exactly a sewing dream) and recently I finally made the dress. I haven’t posted about it on my blog yet but I plan to soon. (Maybe. I hope.)

Edytheresa July 3, 2010 at 8:38 am

It was me, Theresa! I saw it and new instantly you would love it. (Still have to send you that box of vintage ric-rac; been busy.

Jen July 9, 2010 at 6:35 pm

That is MARVELLOUS!

I like your soap-bubble gown idea. What if you took a gazillion clear plastic balls and sewed them onto a dress? Or is that crazy talk?

Millie Green July 20, 2010 at 9:41 pm

I definitely sew in my dreams. One of my favorite creations came to me in a dream. I also dreamed one night all night long about doing freehand machine embroidery and when I woke up and tried it, it was like I had practiced already, and I knew exactly what to do.
I love your blog, btw.