Lovely Things to Make For Girls of Slender Means

by Erin on July 13, 2010

Eithne Farry's UK publisher sent me a copy of Lovely Things to Make for Girls of Slender Means, which doesn't seem to be available through Amazon in the US yet.

LovelyFarry

I reviewed Eithne's previous book way back when, this one is very much in the same spirit: jump in, let's do it, don't fuss too much, let's go!

If you like punk-rock, rough-edged, uneven-and-so-what-who-cares? projects, you will love this book. (If you measure eight times and cut once, this book will give you hives. But you should read it anyway for new ideas and to loosen up a bit already …)

Being a UK title, there are some materials we won't be able to get here in the states (I'd never seen a chip fork!) and others that seem implausible (c'mon, is there really such a thing as a "holiday donkey" and do they wear hats?) but most of the projects are universal. (I may just have to make the Lego belt buckle, goodness knows there are enough Legos in my house …)

I think I said that her last book would be an excellent gift for a tentative teen sewist, and that goes double for this one. Eithne has a very freeing perspective on sewing — basically, try it, it just might work!  (I love the "roughly pleated skirt" project, which is the sewing equivalent of "add some flour until it looks right" school of cooking.)

lynneguist July 13, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Yes, there is such a thing as a holiday donkey–and there are sanctuaries for retired ones!

Louise July 13, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Going to second lynneguist- I live in Weston-super-Mare, a UK seaside town, and we have literally dozens of holiday donkeys. For £2 your child (or anyone under about 70 lbs) can have a ride!

Emmy July 14, 2010 at 12:45 am

I was in Weston last month and, at rather more than 70lb, was very sad not to get a go on a donkey. They did look awful sad, though.

apeppermintpenguin July 14, 2010 at 12:48 am

Yes, there are holiday donkeys, and yes they often wear hats!

I’m sure they are bored, but as long as their welfare is properly looked after (and the lovely people who help them to retire happily) then it’s a very British and fun thing.

Thanks for the warning about the hives. No I don’t measure 8 times. Don’t be ridiculous – only 6 and 7 on Sundays.

Cheers,
AJ

Fiona July 14, 2010 at 3:58 am

Thanks – I have not been able to interest my children in sewing yet, except for the son who is waiting patiently for a garment I promised him about 5 years ago, so it might be worth leaving this book lying around with the odd bit of cloth and see what happens!

Chip fork, holiday donkey…I thought you’d BEEN over here! ;-)

Altissima July 14, 2010 at 1:48 pm

“Holiday Donkey”?? Otherwise known as a “Yule Mule”

Thank you, I’m here all week.

Louise July 15, 2010 at 9:30 am

Actually, to defend the donkey owners, they are required by law to give them regular rest periods (believe it is similar to what a person would get working 8 hours) and their welfare is monitored quite closely. It is a boring job but I think compared to a lot of donkeys in the world not so bad.

hebejeeby August 13, 2010 at 1:08 pm

ha ha! chip fork is usually is usually a little balsa wood fork used to eat chips (ie fries) that you get at the chipppy (wikipedia might help!). Love love love the blog – super impressed I;m not the only Brit who loves it!