A Mullet Dress

by Erin on July 20, 2010

Why is this a mullet dress? Because if you can look at this picture and NOT think "Business in front, party in the back," you are a better human being than I am.

This would be a great dress to wear on those uncomfortable folding chairs they use for school assemblies — you know which ones I mean, the ones that are always painted "cafe-au-rancid-milk" brown. Built-in padding!

And this pattern and the rest of the lovelies at the Vintage Fashion Library are 20% off through Wednesday 7/21 … use code "Christmas". (Christmas in July!)

Valerie July 20, 2010 at 5:39 am

Anyone who wants to draw that much attention to their rear is either nuts or just far braver than I. Wow….

Jenni July 20, 2010 at 6:23 am

OMG! I though us Aussies only used the term ‘mullet’!!!!!

fidelio July 20, 2010 at 7:00 am

This Sunday I made it to the Golden Age of Couture exhibit (appearing in Nashville, courtesy of the V&A*) and it was striking how many of clothes in the show (like that pink gown there on the Frist’s page) had back detailing of one sort of another, all the way from tied sashes on to fishtails and more dramtic details. I don’t know how I feel about this cascade effect–and I really wonder how well it would stand up to actual wear.

*Seriously, if you can make it to Nashville before September 12 and are passionate about that era in women’s clothing, it’s worth it. Amazing clothes, and except for a few at the beginning, very well displayed.

apeppermintpenguin July 20, 2010 at 7:07 am

Some dresses are all about the entrance you are going to make. This one is all about the exit. Flouncing out the room she is.

Ok, yes, it’s a mullet. But a nice one!

Thompson Marci July 20, 2010 at 7:44 am

mullet..so funny! I had a “mullet” dress in the 80’s back when mullets were fashionable (were they really EVER fashionable?)…Loved it, tho.
this design is so beautiful! Have fun making it….business up front, party in the back! :) :) :)

nancy July 20, 2010 at 7:45 am

I almost nosed my coffee when I read this post. “Mullet” is a perfect comparison, and “business in the front, party in the back” was my first thought before I started reading! Thanks for the laughs this morning!

Sheila / Out of the Ashes Collectibles July 20, 2010 at 8:04 am

Rear bumper came to mind. I don’t imagine going grocery shopping in this but if you get hit from behind with a cart you’ll be protected!

Karen July 20, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Out of stock! I have been after this pattern for a couple years now. Not because it resembles a mullet 😛

Rachel Red Lips July 20, 2010 at 5:26 pm

hahhaa…i totally agree that this would be perfect padding for uncomfortable seating, although it’s pretty cute too!

gotta check out this sale before tomorrow! thanks for the link, doll.

Therea July 20, 2010 at 6:38 pm

I must be nuts because I would definitely wear that dress!

Jen O July 20, 2010 at 6:55 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE those late 1930’s thru New Look bustles!

Party in the back? (Literally) This would look wonderful at an afternoon ‘tea dance’ while slow dancing (they did that sort of thing back then).

Nancy G July 21, 2010 at 3:50 pm

This dress would be great for someone with a flat butt, namely ME!

Chantelle James July 21, 2010 at 5:13 pm

At least this isn’t the current version of a mullet dress seen on the red carpet, with a short skirt in front and tails or a train in back.

Nancy G, this dress would also be good for my flat butt! :)

Anna July 21, 2010 at 9:13 pm

You really are hilarious!

coupon clothes July 22, 2010 at 2:08 am

Its so beautiful era late 80s and early 90s. I love that.

Miss Kitty July 22, 2010 at 7:12 am

Evidently, I am NOT a better person than you, Erin. As soon as I saw the post title and then glanced at the photo, I said aloud, “Business in the front, party in the back!” 😛

Having said all that, the dress is KILLER.

Katherine Lynch July 22, 2010 at 8:09 am

I love that dress!! I like the party in the back…lol….but you would definitely have to be thin to pull it off I think.

jordan retro July 22, 2010 at 11:54 pm

StarSparrow July 23, 2010 at 6:43 pm

This is hilarious!! I love your “pattern comedy” posts.
Also, your dresses are gorgeous! I’m sewing over at http://www.starsparrow.com, I’d love it if you took a peek!

Cara Gray July 24, 2010 at 9:30 am

im loving the mullet dress and the pettern comedy too :-)

Amanda July 24, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I think that dress is just amazing! I don’t think I have seen anything quite like that..I may have to snag that (if it is still available!)

Cecelia Petro July 27, 2010 at 6:29 pm

If I had seen that dress and tied it to “mullet” I’d think I was brilliantly funny, as I do you!