Incredibly Optimistic

by Erin on September 8, 2010

Tablesoftomorrow
I know crochet goes 'faster' than knitting, but the title of this booklet strikes me as incredibly optimistic. There's no way that I could get that on my table tomorrow. (It usually takes a good 24 hours to clear off all the stuff that's there already, anyway.)

And, of course, when I think "FUTURE" what immediately springs to mind is "crocheted tablecloths!" That's why all my robots have handy in-chest dispensers for reels of cotton and come with #5 hook attachments.

If you have quite a few tomorrows to devote to creating intricate and lacy tablecloths, this booklet is available from Lanetz Living. When you've finished, jump in your time machine and come show it to me! I'll expect you tomorrow at 4. We'll have tea!

Valerie September 8, 2010 at 5:18 am

Oh, I have a couple of those sorts of books. I would love to crochet myself a tablecloth someday, but I fear that as it takes me many weeks to even polish off one small doily, that my patience would never last. Perhaps if I started one now I might have it done for a silver anniversary celebration (I’ve been married for 5 years!).

edgertor September 8, 2010 at 5:56 am

they mean, you’re going to make this tablecloth in 24 hours and be able to use it _tomorrow_.

Colleen Writt September 8, 2010 at 6:36 am

My schoolteacher grandmother crocheted a similar tablecloth, it was done in squares, and she did them at school while the other teachers took smoking breaks. It took her years to finish,and she always worried it would end up in the possession of a relative she didn’t like. Unfortunately, that is exactly what happened.

Linda September 8, 2010 at 8:50 am

I made a round pineapple patterned one and it took 9 months off and on crocheting when I had free time. I made it the year my son was born (he’s 36 now) when I was pretty much stuck at home after working for many years. I used it all the time but it started to come apart from all the washing so I put it away. I always wanted to do another one but never did. Now I have arthritis in my fingers and can’t crochet like I used to.

drMolly September 8, 2010 at 9:09 am

Ah, I think I even have that one – lots like it, but have not done one yet. Mayhap when I retire, who knows?
docM

Packrat September 8, 2010 at 11:13 am

Well, don’t wait for me. It will never getting start much less finished. It is pretty, but…

Ilona September 8, 2010 at 11:24 am

Crocheted table clothes take a long time to make because you are basically crocheting thread into some intricate lace pattern. I’ve only ever made one it took me my first year of college to finish.

Sara September 8, 2010 at 2:16 pm

This reminds me of the embroidered openwork pillowcases my grandmother gave me as a wedding present. She started them for her trousseau.

LibertyJB September 8, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I think they meant tomorrow like the year 2210. Futuristic. So you have 200 years to finish. Better get going.

Kristina September 8, 2010 at 4:59 pm

ah, when ladies had leisure for crochet AND tea!…not to mention Dinner Parties.

Elissa September 8, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Hmm, I always thought knitting was faster than crochet. Either way, I don’t have the patience for big projects like that – after a week it’d join the rest of them in the fabric stash room, waiting for “one day”. Maybe if I broke my leg….

evalyn September 9, 2010 at 10:42 am

A doily is about all my patience will handle. Maybe some day I’ll gather them all together and stitch them together to make a table cloth.

#5 hook? I should think this takes a 1 or 0.

sheila / out of the ashes collectibles September 10, 2010 at 10:22 am

I’ve started to collect vintage hat & purse patterns for knitting and crochet. Some of them are so awesome

Hands in Delight September 10, 2010 at 10:47 am

Aaah….I do love vintage patterns. I think it is meant more as “tomorrow” equals some time in the “future.”

Crochet can be fast; but, when working an intricate pattern, it is slow and time consuming. Moving past the basics takes time!

I have quite a few of these table clothes and afghans that I inherited. Can you believe that most of my relatives wanted to through them away? I cherish them as precious jewels, though.

Carla September 10, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I have a friend who told me her wheelchair-bound aunt used to make 2 (two) thread tablecloths a month! I couldn’t believe it and questioned her again about the number? She stood firm: two tablecloths a month. I know some fast crocheters and knitters. That woman’s hooks were on FIRE.

Sara September 20, 2010 at 11:31 am

So funny! I love these old crochet books with snazzy names. I actually would love to actually make one of those someday. Jus so I can pass it on to my daughter, and her daughters, etc. and they can say my great-great-great-great grandma made this!