New Look 6981

by Erin on September 15, 2010

I'm completely in love with this skirt pattern (New Look 6981). Here's the line drawing (I'm not showing you the photo illustration because I find it cringe-inducingly hokey):

NewLook_6981
I'll post some pictures soon of the two skirts I've made from this pattern so far — and I'm sure they won't be the last, either. This skirt is incredibly comfortable and goes together like a dream. Sewing at top speed I bet I could get one cut and sewn in a couple of hours, and that includes using an invisible zipper (instead of the regular one the pattern calls for) and adding on-seam pockets.

It's a really cheap pattern, too — you can get it for under $5 — and very efficient in terms of fabric use. (I'm going to go through my large bin of "pieces of fabric too big to toss yet too small for an entire dress" and see what skirts I can eke out of leftover yardage.)

So far the ones I've made have been in heavy denim, but I also just bought some velveteen that I am dying to sew up … and this would be really cute in lightweight cottons with the heavy contrast border. Do I sound obsessed yet? It's trending that way …

Colleen Writt September 15, 2010 at 6:24 am

Erin, that skirt looks a whole lot like the Land’s end one you posted about.

Marie September 15, 2010 at 7:45 am

Like so many cute patterns they don’t put them out in sizes over 18 (sometimes 16) and I really don’t feel like resizing so I either have to pass or use the line drawings and a review of the pattern pieces to make my own pattern.

Yet another incentive to lose weight.

Lydia September 15, 2010 at 8:48 am

That would look great over a petticoat, too! Those pleats allow for a lot of fullness without looking like a circle skirt. Let us know if you try it in a lightweight wool for winter!

Lydia September 15, 2010 at 8:54 am

Er. Except you’re probably not sewing with wool much now, are you? Dang.

Sheila September 15, 2010 at 8:54 am

I’ve made this pattern and love it too!

LinB September 15, 2010 at 8:58 am

Love love love New Look patterns — mainly because they include all sizes in every pattern pack, and regularly grade up to size 22. Agree that line drawings are more useful than photos from this brand. They are distressingly addicted to flower prints.

Dancing with Poodles September 15, 2010 at 9:58 am

That skirt is really cute, I can’t wait to see the ones you made! I also really like the cowl-neck top, so I may have to add this one to my shopping list.

-Marianne

Lynn September 15, 2010 at 10:55 am

i really like this pattern. i’ve been looking for a new go to skirt pattern. I’m curious tho, with all the gathering and pleats, does it make you look like you have a little extra junk in the trunk? asks the girl with a full trunk as it is.

Monique in TX September 15, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Aw, c’mon. We LIKE cringe-inducingly hokey!

Erin September 15, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Lynn, I pretty much never consider whether something makes me look like I have “a little extra”. If I did I’d wear nothing but black pencil skirts, and I’d die of boredom in 2.3 days. :-)

Doris September 15, 2010 at 8:00 pm

LOL! That’s one hokey photo!

Dawn September 16, 2010 at 6:45 am

Thank you,Erin. I too was wondering about pleats emphasizing the hips that don’t need emphasis, but your attitude is the perfect response. It’s a very cute skirt!

evalyn September 16, 2010 at 10:52 am

I know the skirt is the focus here, but I really like the top! I’ll bet it’s easy also.

sheila / out of the ashes collectibles September 17, 2010 at 8:42 am

A bit kooky but cute! I’m a big fan of the New Look’s!

JenL September 17, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Hmmm…has the Heidi been displaced. Ominous music (dum dum dum).

suzanne antique lover September 20, 2010 at 10:01 am

I also agree… very cute and just love it!

Carlene September 20, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I’m in the process of making this skirt, actually. I love it! It’s green and blue plaid, and I’m going to have to resist the temptation to wear it everyday.

Sue C. September 21, 2010 at 5:55 am

Another pattern in a similiar style you might like is Burda 8090. I just finished it and it turned out very nice. Probably not quite as much skirt as the New Look, which might be a good thing. Also, it goes up to size 22.

Leah September 22, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Erin

Doesn’t this (http://www.thesartorialist.com/photos/JS1_6257Web.jpg) kind of look like the pattern? By the way, which I love! Speaking of love, look at the orange and turquoise combo…

Amy September 25, 2010 at 9:16 am

Was there much ease in this pattern, or was it true to size? The pinwale corduroy I bought isn’t WIDE enough (grrrrrr) unless I can make the skirt 2 sizes smaller (or distribute the four inch discrepancy amongst the pleats and seams so the skirt matches up with the waistband). Grrrr. :)

Erin September 25, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Amy, I went down a size because the skirt is designed to sit slightly below the natural waist, and I like my waist to be where my waist is. :-)

Amy September 25, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Good call. I just made my “beta” version and it is CUTE. I took out a little fabric in each pleat by folding the pattern piece before I cut (so I could use the corduroy). I agree it could go down a size and still fit. Thanks for responding! I think I’ll make at least four of these for fall….to wear with patterned tights, of course. :)

Cookie October 8, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Somehow, I feel like a fuller skirt should hit just below the knee, at least. Everything is looking so short to me in the last year or so.