Cutest Fabric Ever

by Erin on September 22, 2010

Books_fabric2

Yes, those are little orange and green books on a black background! Isn't that adorable? I bought it on eBay yonks ago — I bought it actually while sitting on a plane (thanks, GoGo Wireless!) and yesterday I was ALSO sitting on a plane, which reminded me that I'd never posted about this fabric.

I don't have a ton of it — four yards, maybe, but it's vintage fabric so it's very narrow, under 42 inches wide. What would you do with this fabric?

Anan September 22, 2010 at 6:52 am

Bolero jacket to go with a complementary colored dress… COVERED BUTTONS.

Mary Beth September 22, 2010 at 6:54 am

Ebay bidding while on a plane? How wild. Falling books…imagine if books really fell from trees and not leaves?

Anyhow, you asked what to do with your narrow piece of fabric. I’d mix with another sympatico print in a newer, wider width and then go wild with your favorite dress pattern!

Rachel September 22, 2010 at 7:00 am

I think it would make a cute shirt dress or skirt.

Doris September 22, 2010 at 7:03 am

A skirt, ful and gathered, worn with an orange J. Crew 3/4 length sleeve cardigan. And Mary Janes in black. And dark rimmed reading glasses.

Swoooonnnn….

Kathie September 22, 2010 at 7:15 am

a shirt with contrasting fabric inside the cuffs and collar (as in a recent Threads feature).

Suzie September 22, 2010 at 7:44 am

Bag for library books.

fidelio September 22, 2010 at 8:14 am

Well..there’s enough for a Heidi!

Allison September 22, 2010 at 8:37 am

It must be part of a cute librarian look! Maybe a blouse with a peter pan collar and pearl buttons?

Kimn September 22, 2010 at 8:41 am

The images in the fabric seem to be swirling, so I’d make a cape, or a tablecloth for the small round table near the front door where you stack the books you just brought home from the bookstore or library. In any case, something to keep that swirl . . .

sil September 22, 2010 at 9:07 am

Definitely a fullish skirt and style yourself as a naughty librarian. Super cute.

Penny Dell September 22, 2010 at 9:17 am

I can picture this fabric design in a sleeveless blouse or short sleeve blouse.very 50s or 60s style.. A bolero would be adorable indeed. and if it is really vintage, keep a piece and frame it on your sewing room wall!

sheila / out of the ashes collectibles September 22, 2010 at 9:26 am

Maybe this is a boring idea but the first think I thought of was making a cushion for my office chair!

Terri September 22, 2010 at 10:13 am

a gathered skirt gets my vote. I see that others have beaten me to this idea!

SewDucky! September 22, 2010 at 10:28 am

See, me, I’d make a vamp dress ala Joan from Mad Men out of it.

This is JUST me, tho. I like the idea of sexy and bookish tho.

Fredss September 22, 2010 at 11:35 am

I would make a smock and play “librarian” at home while wearing it.

Wendy M. September 22, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I know this is dress a day, but I second the office chair idea. However, I thought of one of those cute low backed small chairs that seem perfect for a library nook!

Lorene September 22, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Sexy strappy, sundress. Librarian eye glasses. Loafers. Done.

Stefanie September 22, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Textbook covers

Valerie September 22, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I immediately pictured a full skirted dress, white buttons on the centre bodice, a little white collar and cut-on sleeves that poke out slightly wider than the shoulder. Oh and all the “Librarian” accessories. Glasses. Pearls, narrow belt, flats.

MissFifi September 22, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Oh my God, a skirt, a 1950′s skirt. I love that fabric!

Jen Alien-Spouse September 22, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Personally I would take a swatch of it with me to the tattoo artist, because I’ve been planning a book tattoo for a while and it’s surprisingly hard to find good illustrations of an open book.

However, for you, I think a pleated skirt with pockets would be gorgeous in this. It would also make a great contrast fabric, or how lovely to catch a glimpse of it in your pocket lining!

Lora September 22, 2010 at 5:16 pm

…with black penny loafer that have a stacked heel…

Lora September 22, 2010 at 5:24 pm

update: a long sleeve blouse with ruffles down the front with little pearl buttons, to be worn with a wool pencil skirt, tights with a chevron pattern, then the black penny loafers with a 3″ stacked heel.

Therea September 22, 2010 at 6:09 pm

An a-line skirt to wear with a white blouse with a peter pan collar and an orange cardigan, green glasses and green penny loafers. And then I’d sit under a tree and read a book.

Nathalie September 23, 2010 at 3:21 am

What a cute fabric! And it’s a non-directional print, which opens up quite a few possibilities with 4yds (even at 36 or 39 inches wide). A shirt-waist might not be one of them though, as those tend to be more fabric hungry.

It would be a shame to use a dressmaking length on something that only requires a fraction of it though (like a bag or a blouse). It’s so rare to get good lengths of vintage fabric!

Louise September 23, 2010 at 3:50 am

My favourite suggestions are the library book bag and the bolero jacket. This is too cute though. I’m tres jealous.

Wanett September 23, 2010 at 6:39 am

Make an insanely form fitting sexy librarian dress with it!

Crystal Arcand (3Stairs) September 23, 2010 at 9:35 am

Hmm, I love Rachel’s skirt outfit idea, but part of me says it’s too wonderful for clothing (which you can’t wear everyday because people start to look at you funny), so I’d probably go with Kathie’s idea of a book tote.

evalyn September 23, 2010 at 11:37 am

Make a slipcover for my Reading Chair.

Wogglebug September 23, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Four yards might be enough for a tailored sleeveless dress with a flared skirt (because gores take less fabric than gathers) reaching to just below the knee. I’d also be tempted to make a reversible bolero jacket in black and matching green. With piping.

Diana K September 24, 2010 at 5:10 pm

I would use a bit to make a cover for my daughters Sony book reader