If I Were A Betting Woman

by Erin on October 7, 2010

Jmendel_redcarpet

I wish there were some kind of Tote for betting whether certain dresses will appear at awards shows. I suppose there's some kind of problem with it (e.g., enterprising starlets could back a certain designer and then make a killing by just wearing the right dress) but it would be a lot more fun than fantasy football, in my opinion.

If there were such an animal, I'd put my money on this J. Mendel gown. Jewelry-friendly neckline, interesting color/pattern, and you could actually eat some of those cocktail-hour canap├ęs in it, no?

I'd like to see this with very strappy, very high bronze (or copper) platform sandals. And a matching clutch. But no sapphires; too matchy-matchy. Rose gold, maybe? Opals would be more interesting. (Does anyone else believe the superstition that buying an opal for yourself is bad luck? I would be draped in opals if I didn't believe this, I swear.)

You know who would look great in this? Emily Deschanel

Dawn October 7, 2010 at 4:36 am

I thought that was only true if your name is Opal. ;-)

Lavon October 7, 2010 at 4:39 am

I agree with you! This is a beautiful dress and Opals would be excellent with this.

I did not know buy an opal for yourself is bad luck! I remember buying a beautiful opal set and somehow it just disappeared. I figured that one of my sister did the borrow and never return thing.

Now I will have to search for it!

Valerie October 7, 2010 at 5:35 am

Lovely gown….and you’re right, it would look great with opals. Or some topaz.

bani October 7, 2010 at 6:21 am

All well said, although I’ve never heard any superstitions about opals. However, I can solve your problem – buy me the opals and I’ll gift them back to you after a suitable interval of say a few decades or so. :P

casey October 7, 2010 at 7:41 am

Stunning gown! I would love it in ivory tones as a wedding gown. :P

Mona Bayard October 7, 2010 at 8:02 am

The only bad luck associated with opals is not having enough of them.

belphebe October 7, 2010 at 8:35 am

That is a gorgeous dress. You could even put pockets in the skirt and it wouldn’t ruin the lines. Then you wouldn’t need to carry a matching clutch, unless you really wanted to.

Love the idea of the copper platform shoes. I think they would look fantastic!

sheila / out of the ashes collectibles October 7, 2010 at 8:40 am

OMG that is a fabulous dress. The dark dark blue is perfect. I also picture it in a dark rich brown or is that to passe’? I remember one year Halle Barry wore a brown dress that was criticized but I thought it was so complimentary on her lovely skin

Tracy October 7, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I heard that the opal superstition was put about by De Beers in the early 1900s when Australian opals first became popular in europe…

TECarter October 7, 2010 at 2:32 pm

On a topic related to sewing dresses, but not related to this post… if I may…

My BabyLock Crafters Choice machine just DIED MISERABLY for the second time this year. The first time, back in February, I drove the 2 hours to the nearest authorized service center to get it fixed. Yeah, right.

Has anyone else had experience with Baby Lock? Are they always this junky? I’d love input from the sewing community. Thanks.

Kat October 7, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I heard that it was bad luck to buy opals for yourself unless it was your birthstone. (Perhaps I only heard this after revealing that it was my birthstone!)

Terri October 7, 2010 at 5:34 pm

I had not heard that buying opals for yourself was bad luck. I lost the single one I’ve ever been given years ago. Irreplacable. :(

Winding Ways October 8, 2010 at 4:46 am

Odd…my husband says he’d love to buy me opals but he believes it is bad luck to give them as gifts! My only opal was given to me when I stood up in a wedding. The bride and groom divorced 2 years later, when she was pregnant and he was sneaking off with his secretary.

Tara October 8, 2010 at 7:27 pm

I didn’t know the superstition about opals. And I recently got one implanted in my head! Hm, if my dermal anchor piercing goes awry, I can blame the opal.

Shirl October 8, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Beautiful..

dresses October 10, 2010 at 4:57 am

I love Mendel’s stuff. its a simple dress but the details in color and texture are amazing!

Rita October 11, 2010 at 10:28 am

Beautiful dress, but what’s going on in the cleavage area? Looks like something not quite her flesh color showing there.

Joanna October 11, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Gorgeous gress, it would look wonderful with opals, but I’d prefer silvery or pewter shoes with it.

I heard the superstition about opals but don’t believe it. I have several and love them.

Kristina October 11, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Beautiful dress; what gems wouldn’t look good? Couldn’t the model do a bit more with her hair?

And, Tracy, I find the machine reviews on the Pattern Review Web site to be helpful. I recently shopped for a new machine and found an irresistible deal on a Bernina, but the Babylock and Pfaff machines looked good too.

Lisa October 12, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Gotta say, I love that slideshow of the entire line. The only ones I didn’t like were a couple of the red ones, which is odd, since I’m usually nutty about red.

Paula October 14, 2010 at 8:14 pm

My mother says that opals are bad luck to wear, if they are not your birthstone. So they are for October babies only gem.

Libby7 October 15, 2010 at 4:39 pm

And Emily would smile while in it.

Nancy October 20, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Sorry to disagree. I would guess this would NOT show up in the cinema awards circuit because it is not Hollywood-sexy enough around the shoulders. If it narrowed to slender shoulder-straps or veered in as a halter…then yes! Gorgeous material, skirt drape and color. But despite the deep vee, the top half of the dress (the important half for many photos after all) is not screaming Hollywood at me. However, I could be oh so wrong!

ph October 21, 2010 at 5:21 pm