You’ve Got to Fight The Power (with an ascot)

by Erin on October 14, 2010

AnneAdams4699

This dress brings to mind three scenarios for me:

– Flight attendant (a trained pilot herself) manages to land plane safely after rude, chauvinistic pilot eats a bad egg-salad sandwich and spends flight moaning in lavatory. After landing, she gets his job!

– Crusading journalist takes on City Hall (and town's rude, chauvinistic mayor) and wins!

– 1970s unfulfilled suburban housewife goes back to work as charismatic teacher for school full of written-off, disadvantaged youth, fights rude, chauvinistic principal and wins!

In short, this pattern is made of WIN. Something about the yoke + neck scarf + jaunty pockets combo just leads to triumphs over the patriarchy. I don't know what it is.

This pattern is from Sheila at Out of the Ashes, who is having a sale this weekend: 15% off, starting today and ending Sunday night. (Coupon code is GLAMIS.) Got any entrenched jerks who need fighting?

Lisa Simeone October 14, 2010 at 9:38 am

Brava, Erin! Et vive la différence!

Beangirl October 14, 2010 at 9:50 am

So if I buy this, I will get a raise? I really really deserve a raise.

Oh wait. Maybe I have to make it and wear it too? Hmmmm…

Lavon October 14, 2010 at 9:52 am

I love this pattern!

Evelyn October 14, 2010 at 10:03 am

It just screams Mary Tyler Moore as Mary Richards, doesn’t it?

Packrat October 14, 2010 at 10:06 am

Hmmm, I had a dress (purchased) similar to this – with scarf, too. It was made in a muted light weight wool plaid. I ruled! :) Really!

The dress was sophisticated but very comfortable. For some reason, people paid attention when I wore that dress. (I still have it in the cedar chest.)

Lydia October 14, 2010 at 11:49 am

*snag*

Samsara October 14, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I love this dress that can take down the patriarchy! I want one in every color, with contrasting ascots.

Justine October 15, 2010 at 8:00 am

Oh my gosh! I had a dress like that but I never bought a scarf to go with it! That’s why my life is a shambles and I still suffer oppression from the chauvinists!

Marie October 15, 2010 at 8:50 am

I had a top in the eighth grade that was exactly like the bodice of this pattern. Unable at that age to pull off an ascot, I was not yet ready to triumph over the patriarchy. But I loved it. That dress is totally wearable now, accessorized with a arty/chunky necklace and postmodern swagger. Even Mr. Grant wouldn’t stand a chance.

Cecelia Petro October 16, 2010 at 5:48 am

You crack me up…

Cookie October 18, 2010 at 10:58 am

This is definitely an investigative reporter dress. Her name is probably Shawn. She also wears big, bold, Mr. Magoo-type glasses when taking notes or typing, but she takes them off when she answers the phone. Her shoes are stacked, wedge-like espadrilles…which one can actually run in, if it comes to that. (Note that the skirt is generously cut so you can crawl through air vents, too, like Genevi√®ve Bujold in “Coma”.)

EleanorSews October 20, 2010 at 7:32 am

Sara, my mom actually used that pattern to make a couple navy blue double knit dresses to serve as winter public health nurse uniforms back in the 1970s. They wore a blue/white pincord in the warmer months and navy blue when the temps cooled off. Mom often made uniforms to save on the cost of RTW.

Kay November 8, 2010 at 3:03 pm

One look at this dress, and I came over all Mary Tyler Moore-y.

You’re gonna make it after all!

One Second Needle November 18, 2010 at 6:45 pm

I liked this “You’ve Got to Fight the Power (with an ascot)” post. It does seem to have a look of empowerment.