Today’s Pattern Story: McCall’s 6782

by Erin on November 2, 2010

McCalls_6782

Stripes: How many times are we going to have to rehearse this?

Belt: Until you get your back foot right, evidently. Also, your hand is too low.

Stripes: I can't get it up past my hair.

Floral: That can't possibly be your hair.

Stripes: I own it, so it's mine.

Belt: Hurry up and let's get this right. This scarf is gonna leave a welt.

[Director, from offstage: "One more time, girls!"]

All three: I hate the chorus.

DragonPoodle November 2, 2010 at 7:28 am

wow, 2 in a row that I made back in the 60′s. this one looked like a maternity dress even on my then-slender teenage figure.

I love your stories and I love the trips down memory lane!

Jen O November 2, 2010 at 8:05 am

I agree with DragonPoodle and I think that an entire generation learned to sew with this pattern!

Evelyn November 2, 2010 at 9:01 am

Oh,gosh, I am one of that generation. I turned 60 this year and this was when I was 13..oh boy, this sure brings back the memories! Thanks, erin.

sheila / out of the ashes collectibles November 2, 2010 at 9:32 am

My generation too – gulp. I so had that look too – grin.

Evalyn November 2, 2010 at 10:35 am

Me too – made the dress (with belt) and the top. I’ll be 61 in December, and I’m not sure my taste has matured at all because I still think it’s cute!

Cecelia Petro November 2, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Sorry to be redundant, but I, too, made that dress several times and wore one iteration to my first real job in 1966. Geesh.

Heather Fonseca November 2, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I never made it but I find all three designs simultaneously incredibly adorable yet wildly unflattering. How does that work?

Jamie November 3, 2010 at 5:41 am

Wonder if model 3 was happy or distressed to be stuck with the hat? She must have had the best posture to be able to dance with that on.

Theresa November 3, 2010 at 7:06 pm

bwa hahahaha that was hilarious!

Cookie November 8, 2010 at 11:55 am

Wow…making the unbelted version (especially in a really rowdy, LOUD print) is a SURE way to lose a man!

Definitely destined for schmattehood.

Packrat November 11, 2010 at 7:25 pm

I had this pattern, too, and made the dress and the shorts several times for my mom and myself. (I don’t have it anymore; it must have fallen apart.)

Of course, Stripe can’t put her hand up higher. She wouldn’t dare touch her hair.

Marty November 12, 2010 at 5:39 am

LOL!!! I actually have this pattern in my stash from my teen years. Does that date me or what. Cute,cute.