By The Numbers

by Erin on January 12, 2011

I love this (admittedly blinding) vintage cotton numbers fabric from Etsy seller thoroughbredthreads, but there's only a yard of it. What to do?

There is no excuse to ever be bored, by the way, if you have internet access and can type "novelty fabric" into Etsy's search window. You are sure to find stuff like this:

and this:

My favorite thing about Etsy is that it seems to run to quilting-lengths, which I'm hardly ever tempted to buy (my fabric-buying philosophy being "go big or go home"). So it's pure window-shopping. Even when confronted with stuff like this

sheila / out of the ashes collectibles January 12, 2011 at 9:07 am

Okay my first thought on that top fabric well it shouts out “Movie Theater” carpet. Made my head spin but that kitty one makes me purr!

Jennifer Convery Pruett January 12, 2011 at 11:03 am

OMG!!! I just adore that fabric! Born in 71…I can’t get enough of my childhood vintage stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Wogglebug January 12, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Make an A-line skirt in a complementary color, then applique rectangulish sections of the numbers fabric onto it? Ideally, it would give the impression of a fabric with number-blocks separated by solid bars.

Lisa Deeley Smith January 12, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Contrasting cuffs/collars/patch pockets/linings?

Jen O January 12, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Etsy sellers such as myself may list their fabric in fat quarters, 1/2 or 1 yard “quilt” lengths, but nearly all have more on the bolt, next time, just ask and I’m guessing there’s more to be had!

Devil Fancy Dress January 12, 2011 at 11:55 pm

I love the fabrics and I’m checking on Etsy, hope to find more of it…

Holly January 13, 2011 at 6:46 am

That Lilly Pulitzer fabric is fabulous!

Nancy G January 13, 2011 at 7:19 am

Have you seen the Scrabble fabrics available for pre-order from Keepsake Quilting? No predefined limits on yardage there (yes, I’m happy to enable)!—-SCRABBLE-TILES-QUILT-FABRIC.htm

Cecelia Petro January 13, 2011 at 7:49 am

quilt! thanks for the Etsy reminder.

Minya, Warrior Seamstress January 13, 2011 at 10:38 am

Make a vest to be worn over a solid-colored dress?

Jamie January 13, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Make it the center panel in a princess-seamed dress made out of coordinating solid cotton fabric! I’ve done that before with cute-but-expensive or exceptionally busy cotton prints-as well as taking a fifties-style midriff-banded dress and making the midriff band and straps out of the fabric. It’s had good results for me in the past, and it can really make a dress pop without being overwhelming.

Joni January 18, 2011 at 5:02 am

Hardly ever tempted to buy? Easy for you to say. I sell doll clothes to enable my fabric habit – I can make a cute dress in as little as half a yard. It’s actually a huge problem.