Slow Art, Nice Clothes.

by Erin on March 2, 2011

Anglomania
[Image of the Met's Anglomania exhibit BY-NC-ND 2.0 by testpatern]

Mina sent me a list of fashion museums around the world from this Yahoo!Travel article — I've repurposed it into a wiki page over at the Vintage Pattern Wiki. Know of others? Please add them!

Which reminds me, do you all know about Slow Art Day? It's April 16 this year.

Slow Art Day was started to invite novices – and experts – to experience the art of looking at art slowly.

It's a very simple process. Volunteer hosts (not necessarily experts) invite people to come to a local museum and view a small number of works of art for 5 to 10 minutes each. Then everyone meets for lunch at a nearby cafe to talk about their experience. And all this happens the same day around the world.

In San Francisco, my son and I will be doing Slow Art Day at the Cartoon Art Museum — come join us!

If there's a fashion museum by you, why not sign up to host in your city?

Rosemary Mathalone March 2, 2011 at 5:56 am
Monkeygrrl March 2, 2011 at 8:08 am

I spent so much time staring at a 19th century bodice at the V&A in London that my mother (who usually takes the most time in museums) turned and walked out. I was obsessed with the back seam lines.

Emmy March 2, 2011 at 10:03 am

Ah, Rosemary beat me to it. The Fashion Museum in Bath is ace, and the woman who works in the museum shop is a sweetheart.

Carolyn March 3, 2011 at 8:05 am

I know some others, mostly for historical dress. But don’t know how to add them to the wiki itself, so I’ll list them here:

- the Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto, has a costume gallery and a large collection ‘behind the scenes’
- Costume Museum of Canada, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Museum of London (England) has a large collection with, I believe, a costume gallery
- Berrington House, Hereford, England houses what once was the Snowshill Collection (for all you Janet Arnold geeks)
- Hereford Museum itself has a good size collection, I don’t know how much is on display though.

The Slapdash Sewist March 4, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Just added four museums. I love this idea! Oh, and I just thought of another one, in Tokyo. Off to add it.

Jess March 5, 2011 at 5:21 am

Perfect! The museum where I work will be hosting a travelling exhibit from the Cartoon Art Museum at that time. It hasn’t arrived yet, but I am soo excited!

Frank Zweegers March 7, 2011 at 5:23 am

Nice clothes, indeed.

Eirlys March 14, 2011 at 2:13 pm

OK, I’m going to put my hand up and offer to convene a Bath gathering. I was torn between the Fashion Museum and the American Museum (a whole slew of Marilyn’s famous outfits, including the Niagara wiggle dress, are currently on display at the latter), but let’s go for the Fashion Museum (formerly k.a. the Costume Museum). Who’ll join me?

Eirlys March 29, 2011 at 3:09 am

Yes indeedy, Slow Art Day at the Fashion Museum, Bath, will be happening! More details here: http://scrapiana.com/2011/03/28/slow-art-day/

bonnie-ann black April 3, 2011 at 10:29 am

thanks for this, erin… i’ve signed up for the meet at the Met here in NYC.