Today’s Pattern Story (and Wishlist): McCalls 3699

by Erin on March 25, 2011

McCalls_3699

Blue-Green View is totally checking out the woman in black's butt, isn't she? She's cleverly distracted Pink View with flowers sent by a "secret admirer" so she can put the moves on Black View. Her next stratagem? To find a "smudge" on Black View's backside so she can casually brush it off.

Too bad Black View is looking out into the middle distance, thinking about cake.

I really, really want this pattern — anyone got one in this size (or one down) that is for sale? Birgit at Stitches and Loops had one, but darnit, I was Too Late. Although you should really check out this shirtdress she has now, and this pocketed beauty …

drMolly March 25, 2011 at 8:00 am

mmmmm I love shirt dresses!

PunkRizz March 25, 2011 at 8:50 am

Thank you for my laugh of the day. I would love to know what the pattern illustrator was thinking when she/he drew this. Mmmmmm….cake.

Bramble March 25, 2011 at 8:57 am

I personally think black view is thinking” This girdle is too damn tight and do I really have to stand this close to Adele? Her perfume stinks!” Meanwhile pink view has masked the smell of Adele with the bouquet and is high tailing it to a place she can lose her girdle!

Have a great weekend , I love to visit and get a good laugh everyday!

Evalyn March 25, 2011 at 9:55 am

Erin, I think the shirtwaist with curved pockets would be perfect for you. This is, of course, based on the fact that I know nothing at all about you except that you like shirt-waist dresses with pockets and without inset sleeves (which I don’t understand, by the way). It’s just that when I looked at that pattern, I thought “Erin, by this one!” Feel free to ignore me, as I’m also thinking of Spring cleaning this weekend.

Jamie March 25, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I think the lable “Easy” says it all.

alaina March 25, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I love that your story lines are sometimes homoerotic. I’ve always thought that fashion illustration was weirdly gay (in the best way). “Predatory,” to quote a late 90s webber.

Blue is totally going to jump black. She’s going to run her fingertips along Black’s back neckline.

Susan D March 26, 2011 at 7:56 am

I love this picture. And the dress. It just has Classic Good Taste written all over it.

Hmm, what kind of cake?

Kristen March 26, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Picked up your book today! So excited to read it!!

Mamela March 28, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Who wouldn’t want black? Those shoes! That handbag! She’s a catch.

Melanie October 10, 2012 at 11:26 am

Hi Erin, did you ever find a copy of this pattern? It’s a fab dress, I love the gathered hip yokes. I have come across a copy in a size 16 (bust 34), if you’re still interested. I’m sure we could work something out – do get in touch.