Squirrelly!

by Erin on June 27, 2011

So thanks to Robin, I now know about Etsy seller Sew What's New Fabric's MOST FRIGHTENING FABRICS section. In short: it is the best selection of terrifying textiles extant.

This is the one that got me:

Squirrel Kicking Dog in Face Vintage Cotton Fabric

Yep, that's "Squirrel Kicking Dog In Face Vintage Cotton Fabric". (It does what it says on the tin!)

I'm assuming this was originally intended for pediatric scrubs to be worn at the Our Lady of Inappropriate Cartoons Children's Hospital, but I'm open to other theories.

Dawn June 27, 2011 at 6:21 am

And if I’m seeing the other part of this correctly, the dog is a surgeon who is about to remove an acorn from the squirrel – is that right? As for what to use it for, I’m still stuck on what would even make somebody think of it, let alone put it on fabric.

trashmaster46 June 27, 2011 at 9:33 am

Good lord…

Heather June 27, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Reminds me of the 50s sewing pattern for an alligator pajama bag, clown clothes hamper and clown face pillow. Apparently, a lot of children are afraid of clowns. Sure, plant scary things in the kid’s room and see if they ever sleep again. And you wonder why people who grew up in the 50s were neurotic.

Miss Kitty June 27, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Hahahahahaaaaaaa! Hilarious!

I know that one’s knee does things it can’t help when the doctor taps it with the silly little rubber mallet, but the squirrel kicking the dog’s face does really bother me. And that artwork looks like the love child of Chuck Jones and R. Crumb.

[shakes off weird chill]

Kathy June 27, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I love this seller, she is super nice (and very generous with the fabric cuts). I used to check in on her Most Frightening Fabrics list pretty often but lost track of it recently. The weird thing is that none of them are actually scary, but there is just something odd that makes you cringe.

But let us not overlook her other, more pleasant selections – the last thing I got from Sew What’s New was some gorgeous art-deco looking rayon, but unfortunately it’s still sitting in the stash.

Must. Stop. Buying.

Kathy June 27, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Eww, just read the other coments. I’m not scared of clowns, but I would be if I’d ever had a CLOWN FACE PILLOW!!! Horrid!

Susan D June 28, 2011 at 5:53 am

I had a Clown Pyjama Bag which my mother made for me and my brother (to share) ca. 1954. In fact, I have now retrieved it from the about-to-be-sold house, and it’s now in my quilting room, where I have no idea what to do with it. My mom rarely sewed anything, so this was a labour of love. And yes, it’s a scary clown. Perhaps a decent burial?

Liz F. July 5, 2011 at 10:37 am

fantastic and unsettling find, Robin (and Erin)! Never had a clown pillow or laundry bag myself, but I did have a rayon dress from the 30s with semi-scary clowns cavorting on it.