Jumpin’

by Erin on November 12, 2011

I'm *almost* done with my 8728 obsession (almost — stay tuned). I've started now to noodle around a bit with the idea of jumpers, for winter (or for what passes for winter, in California). I checked out MOMSPatterns for some inspiration:

Simplicity_3331

and

Simplicity_4766

And, of course, I think I may go back to last year's obsession, our friend Heidi, or even this similar BurdaStyle pattern:

Burda_4846

Although I'm afraid that perhaps what's really pulling me towards this pattern is the pocket topstitching, which I would almost certainly be too lazy to do. (And her truly exceptional liquid-eyeliner skills — at 40, is it too late for me to master that? I suppose it doesn't really go well with glasses …) And that armhole is a bit deep for me … even with a t-shirt under it, it can look weird.

There's also McCalls 5927, which has a gazillion great reviews on PatternReview — check out this  gorgeous dress & photo from Eugenia:

Eugenia_5927

Is anyone else thinking jumpers? Or going beyond the "thinking" stage to the "making" stage? If so, what patterns are you using?

[Jen is running some great sales over the next two weeks ... especially good if you use AMEX, because a week from Saturday is "Small Business Saturday" -- if you use a registered AMEX card at a small business on Saturday the 26th, you can get $25 back. Details are here. Before then, use the code 'gobble' to save 15% all month ...]

Andrea November 12, 2011 at 5:59 am

I have a thin denim one and a black poplin one that I’ve made from http://vintagepatterns.wikia.com/wiki/Simplicity_3356e that I wear nearly every day during the summer. I go back and forth about making heavy ones for winter because I’m starting to feel like mutton dressed as lamb as I approach 40 myself. BTW, I wear cat eye liquid eyeliner and it goes fabulously with glasses. They now have pens and gel liners that look like liquid on the eye but are easier to use.

karen November 12, 2011 at 6:59 am

I wore them a lot when I was a kid, in plaid, because my mom went through a big plaid jumper phase in the 60′s and my sister refused to wear them. I like them, but I don’t think I could wear one. Too many flashbacks to when I was eight wearing one of those things with knee socks and sturdy brown shoes. : )

Sara November 12, 2011 at 7:57 am

Oh yes!! For me, fall and winter are all about wool plaid jumpers, similar to the last photo posted. I like to keep it knee-length and pair with boots to avoid the frumpies that can be associated with jumpers.

wundermary November 12, 2011 at 9:12 am

I love the neckline and pocket detail on 4766, though you wouldn’t want it to be too heavy. No one actually looks that svelte in a jumper.
Go for the liner! I wore liner and glasses for years. If Blossom Dearie can do it, so can you.

BJ November 12, 2011 at 10:13 am

I lived in Monterey for almost a year, and my impression was that one could wear winter clothes there the year ’round. Even when the temps were up there, there was always a breeze off the ocean…

angela November 12, 2011 at 10:30 am

I love Simplicity 3673 (vintage repro) The bust gathers and the many darts through the waist are really flattering, and make it easy to get a good fit.

Frances November 12, 2011 at 12:35 pm

You say jumper, I think Sabrina. So yeah! Definitely going to have to add a jumper to my sewing list. 4766 is a great pattern. i wonder if it looks as good when it’s actually sewn?

StephC November 12, 2011 at 5:04 pm
M Smith November 12, 2011 at 11:52 pm

The trick with liquid eyeliner, for me, is to use a decent-quality fine paintbrush, not a makeup brush.

BMGM November 13, 2011 at 10:35 am

I used to wear jumpers in Colorado alot. But, the weather in LA is seldom cold enough for one. Fortunately, it was cold enough last night to break out a wool tweed one for dinner out.

I bought that one at Talbot’s years ago. But here are two wool jumpers that I made myself. Love, love, love them. I feel very Emma Peel when I wear them.

Theresa November 14, 2011 at 9:12 pm

The GIANT Pocket one gets my vote!

Theresa November 14, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I made one 2 years ago in Black Wool. I get lots of compliments. This one: http://www.simplicity.com/p-1968-miss-miss-petite-dresses.aspx
The blue version. Very easy to make.

alisgray November 16, 2011 at 11:41 pm

40 is not too late to learn liquid eyeliner. it is in fact compatible with eyeglasses. and it’s a lot of fun! renemember to do your off-dominant side eye first, it’s much easier to match the look with your right hand (if you’re a rightie. and visa versa.)

HeavenlyPrincess November 22, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I love Jumpeers! My favorite one here is the second pattern with big pockets.

I just made a jumper and entered it my state’s Make It With Wool competition. It got first place and will be going to nationals in January!

Jordan

Online Shopping December 13, 2011 at 6:04 am

I like the dress made up of jeans clothing. When i was kid i love to jumper made of jeans.