Another Couple of Liberty 8728s

by Erin on January 17, 2012

I don't think I've posted these yet — forgive the shaky pictures — but I made two other 8728s before I went to Australia:

Here's the back view:

This is Liberty (of course) — Percy's Leaf (from Shaukat).

And this, in Mike (also Liberty from Shaukat) — a closeup of the bodice (kind of a shadowy picture, sorry):

And a shaky picture of the back:

I know I'm not done with 8728 just yet — it makes up SO nicely! It's so easy to wear! — but I'm thinking it might be time for another shot at the Heidi … what do you all think?

Claire Jain January 17, 2012 at 9:06 am

Oooh, I really like both of those. How many are there now? I can’t wait for a recap!

Melodie January 17, 2012 at 9:57 am

I might need to come over for a tutorial, I made this dress and while the zipper is perfection – the rest of the dress didn’t turn out so well. Your versions are so lovely! Maybe it’s my shape that’s made the dress all wonky?

Clare January 17, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I love both – also a big liberty fan and it suits that pattern so well. Just wish we had more summer dress weather over here!

Nathalie January 17, 2012 at 1:20 pm

So pretty! I’ve finally given in and bought that pattern after seeing all your beauties. I’m not sure it’ll be the right shape for me but I can’t wait to try anyway.

Irene January 17, 2012 at 2:02 pm

This is such a wonderful design/pattern! Love all your versions of it!

What-I-Found January 17, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I was going to comment on how much I loved the leaf print and then I scrolled down and say the stripes. Wow. And you did a wonderful job with both of them. Well done!

ReadyThreadSew January 18, 2012 at 4:03 am

I’m another one who has bought this pattern because of seeing all your versions. I also keep meaning to buy the Heidi pattern. So many patterns, so little time!

Anne January 19, 2012 at 6:09 am

I’ve been loving your blog for a while and finally have to ask a couple questions. Do you make the shoulder pads for this dress? I can’t stand shoulder pads. If you didn’t, did you make any adjustments to the shoulders? Also, I am really short-waisted and I wondering if this particular bodice would not lend itself to shortening.

Erin January 20, 2012 at 10:29 am

Thanks Anne! I did not make the shoulder pads (I never do) and that’s probably why I adjusted the shoulders down two sizes. :-)

I’m not sure about shortening the bodice. If you’re short from the shoulders to the bust (high-busted?) then it would be tricky … otherwise I’d just take it out of the waist piece and hope for the best.

Hope this helps!

Amanda January 22, 2012 at 4:19 am

i like it

Margaret Groening January 23, 2012 at 1:24 pm

This is my first time to your blog and WOW! I love those dresses. I am going to get those patterns. Thanks for showing them.

Shirtdress Fan January 23, 2012 at 6:16 pm

These are really nice, though I miss your shirtdresses.

Velosewer January 24, 2012 at 12:01 am

You’ve made two great dresses.

sheryl dominquez(freeasthewind_=) January 24, 2012 at 12:42 am

I really like these. I remember that pattern think I used it ages ago. Thanks for sharing

MaggyD January 27, 2012 at 7:36 pm

And now I must go to sleep to knit up the ravel’d sleeve of care…
I love the allusion in a mouse-over!

silver February 23, 2012 at 11:42 pm

I was browsing through the Wisconsin Historical Collection today and was amazed when this dress (with a couple of similar ones) leapt out and suggested itself as a 19th century ancestor of the 8728: http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/museum/collections/online/image.cfm?ImageFile=/VoyagerImages/Z017/Z01742/Z0174290.jpg&TableKey=OBJECT:37055