Another Favorite Redux

by Erin on February 19, 2012

Remember Simplicity 1577? I made it in heavy seersucker a while back, and have nearly worn that one to death, so I figured it was time for another version:

Although I'm not a jeans person, I do like heavy denim dresses. They feel very utilitarian-competent. I'm pretty sure I could shingle a roof, raise chickens, or rivet a fighter jet in this dress. There is one problem in making them — you can't self-face collars in heavy denim, so you have to find some other fabric to use:

Good thing I have lots of Liberty scraps lying around, right?

Ditto for the pockets:

It's a dark black denim (cue Michael Penn) and I've been wearing it with bright long-sleeved t-shirts in rose or teal underneath. With stripey socks. So I look a little like a Raggedy-Ann doll in it, but it's so much fun to wear that I don't care.

I've also made this in black plaid low-wale corduroy (part of the Japan fabric haul) — pics of that soon!

ReadyThreadSew February 19, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I love this dress. You have just made me realise that the dress I have made most recently would look great in denim. It’s a very similar shape to this one (minus the pockets and collar).

Catherine Daze February 19, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Heh, not so much a problem as an opportunity, right? What an excellent dress!

Tea February 20, 2012 at 6:45 am

Looks great!

Nicole February 20, 2012 at 6:53 am

I love this dress. I haven’t made a denim dress yet, and I really should because it would be perfect with all of this cold weather.

Claire Jain February 20, 2012 at 8:15 am

Oh wow! That looks so awesome in denim. I’m so glad you always think of the coolest fabric choices, because I’m terrible at envisioning patterns in different fabrics :-)

p.s Would you consider turning off your word verification please?

Clarissa February 20, 2012 at 11:09 am

Oh, I love this. I have some denim lying around that I should make something with. Too cute!

Sian February 20, 2012 at 1:17 pm

My daughter’s dresses had secret hearts lining their pockets when she was tiny… :-)

MariaMorevna February 20, 2012 at 7:14 pm

“I’m pretty sure I could shingle a roof, raise chickens, or rivet a fighter jet in this dress.” This is how I want all dresses to feel– and why I enjoy your blog so much!

the doodler February 20, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I love anything with a plain, utilitarian exterior and a bright, patterned lining — like those lined brown paper envelopes. Lovely.

Elizabeth February 21, 2012 at 8:10 am

Love this dress in denim. Those pockets are so darn cute!

Sara February 21, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Nice! And thanks for the musical reference. Funny, but ever since I put up a post about Wuthering Heights, I have been trying to recall the 80s song that mentions Heathcliff–and there it is. In black jeans! Catherine could wear your awesome dress!

Kristen February 23, 2012 at 10:32 am

This is one of those dresses that I think looks even better made than it does on the pattern image. Love it!

Lisa February 23, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Very nice dress! I came upon your blog a few weeks ago, and I very much enjoy it. I am curious about your process; do you change vintage patterns for modern fit and technique, or work as written? Also, it looks like you leave out a lot of shoulder pads, is that accurate?
Thank you for the great eye candy!

Erin February 23, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Hi Lisa! Thanks for the kind words … I mostly use vintage patterns as written, although I’ll alter for fit if the pattern doesn’t fit me (mostly to make them bigger in the waist, since I don’t wear a girdle). :-) And I hate shoulder pads (post-traumatic stress from the overly-padded 80s) so I always leave them out.

florine foulon February 24, 2012 at 10:08 pm

This one is fantastic, and I am usually very picky about dresses!

Liz March 4, 2012 at 12:52 am

Love this dress and the way you accentuated the collar. Very tastefully done.
Liz

kimia kline March 21, 2012 at 4:13 pm

just found your blog and am loving it over here. this dress is stunning!

Kate Setzer Kamphausen May 3, 2012 at 1:28 am

Whaddya MEAN you don’t care?? Looking like Raggedy Ann is AWESOME!!!