Can This Skirt Be Pocketized?

by Erin on April 26, 2012

McCalls 6402

I like this pattern (McCalls 6402) because I think that views A/B are ripe for pocketization. C too, but that’s not so much of a challenge. (D/E: please to ignore.)

Doesn’t it seem as if you could hang a couple of pocket bags off that curvy main piece and boom, pockets? I still have to actually BUY the pattern and check it out, but it seems so plausible. (Of course, all my worst ideas seemed perfectly plausible at the outset …)

My other idea for skirt B here is bright pink satin with a yellow lace overlay on the main pieces. Not so plausible, but a hell of a lot of fun, right? Also, the lace overlay will hide the creases-from-when-you-sat-down marks on the satin! Not sure either 1) what I’d wear with it (black t-shirt and Jack Purcells?) or 2) where I’d wear it (Bollywood-themed party? Nightclub Easter-egg hunt? A locked ward?), but man oh man that hasn’t stopped me thinking about it since I saw this pattern in the last issue of Threads.

So, weigh in if you can as to where you see this on the pocket difficulty rating scale (with “1″ being “They make themselves and fill up with candy when you’re not looking” and “10″ being “Can only be achieved by dousing the fabric liberally with antimatter”) and also on the potential wearing opportunities for a bright pink and yellow satin and lace skirt (given that I am a 40-year-old mom and most of my social events involve stick-on nametags). All letters answered by return of post.

Jamie April 26, 2012 at 7:25 am

I like c but I just don’t like a or b. And I really just think you should not concern yourself with this pattern. Don’t you dare wear the yellow and pink and lace thing of which you are dreaming! I mean it. This pattern just gets a 0 from me.

ParisGrrl April 26, 2012 at 11:36 am

Interesting question…from the line diagrams it looks like you could just draft a pocket piece with extra depth in the middle, attach it in at the side seams and leave the top of the pocket opening at the bottom of the waistband. Of course, that would change the silhouette of the skirt, and it’s not clear if the pockets would be deep enough for what you want–you’d have to test that out to see for sure. As for the satin and lace, why not? Life is short, and sewing should be fun. I’d personally go with black lace, and one color of satin (or a simple print as opposed to full-out color block, but go as wild as you like.

LinB April 26, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Pockets look like a doddle. If they don’t work out in your trial run, you can always resort to side-seam pockets. And, as for where to wear hot pink satin with yellow lace: Anywhere you want, any time of day or night. “When I Am Old, I Shall Wear Purple” be damned. Wear purple now! Wear hot pink and blaze orange together! Wear canvas and chiffon together! If anyone criticizes you, feel sorry for their lack of imagination. Right now, I am wearing brown-and-green striped slacks and an olive green blouse with cartoon giraffes, munching blue flowers printed on it, just because I can.

Catherine Green April 26, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Can’t advise on the pockets but as for the yellow lace over hot pink I think a) you should do it (or some equally shocking combination) because all your 40 year old mothering peers will think it’s fabulous and b) I would recommend cowboy boots, preferably a bright turquoise.

Evalyn April 26, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I don’t like A or B. Those curved pieces just point to the widest part of the hip and say “Widest part is HERE.” I don’t see how you could do a pocket there withouth enhancing the WIDE effect. Just my own little issue. I’d have to make a mockup and see what it looks like in real life before investing in lace and satin.

Evalyn April 26, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Then, again, perhaps a cargo pocket on each side, starting below the hip line and ending at the hem. Top stitch the skirt in black thread and put a big black button on each pocket.

Kathleen April 26, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I think you could draft a pocket – it would be an odd-looking, pattern pieces or pieces, but it would totally work. Th eopening would be kind of slanty though, so it might not be the deepest pocket. Of course, you could chicken out and put in a side seam pocket, but what’s the fun of that?
As for the yellow and pink, why not?

Claire April 27, 2012 at 3:50 am

I’m totally with Ms. Green. Wear the yellow lace over hot pink with brightest blue possible cowboy boots to go pick up the kid. Or get a cup of coffee. Or walk out to get the mail. It doesn’t matter. Make it. Wear it. As far as the pockets go, I’d give it a “it’s going to be as annoying as getting a frightened cat out from under the house.” Doable. Interesting. A learning experience. And you’ll be happy about the results.

Amy April 27, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I just don’t see pockets as something that should belong on the A version at all. Ever. Please no? Let’s give that a 10 and move on…..who’s with me?
B is the most likely candidate for pockets in my opinion, if only because it reminds me of a kilt. And I’ve seen the growing -in-popularity Utilikilts which are designed for the manly chore doing kilt wearer, and those all boast large utilitarian pockets right over the pleats. So call me crazy, but I think view B would work with pockets. and probably definitely work with hidden side seam pockets IF you can stand to the extra bulk.

Laura April 27, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I don’t know about the pockets. You may just have to do my least favorite thing and make a muslin. BUT…I do love “Can only be achieved by dousing the fabric liberally with antimatter”

As for the pink satin and yellow lace….go for it.

Malady April 27, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I would love to see either of those made up in hot pink and yellow. Tone on tone is b.o.r.i.n.g.

And totally off topic, but the reason that I’m stopping by – you inspired me so much with your sewing that I went out, bought all the supplies, and the pattern, and I am now gazing with adoring eyes at my very own version of the Vogue Vintage 8728. Thankyou, thankyou, a million times thankyou.

Jen O April 27, 2012 at 3:50 pm

View A could easily have a ‘kangaroo’ pocket in front–the two seam lines that drop down from the waistband in front are ready to go with that type of pocket. Cut the pocket lining in one piece, just like a hoodie has. BUT I agree with LinB that the decorative seamlines on this skirt really point out the hips–so maybe one color is safest for this style?

Sarah April 28, 2012 at 12:00 am

Pocket on styles A and B I give a 3. Wear whatever you like! I’ve got a hot pink long tutu style skirt. I love to wear it because it is comfortable and swishy. I get some odd looks, but more compliments. I’m 48, by the way, but do look kind of young for my age, or so I am told.

Berenice April 28, 2012 at 1:37 am

A & B rear view remind me of ditto jeans…. Anyone else remember those from late 70′s-early 80′s??? If you make front pockets in the swooping seam sort of jeans style with super thin lining fabric (have to reinforce that bias cut though), I think it is doable. Wear what ever you want, you only get to go around one time. I’d sure hate to look back and think, “Wow, I really wish I wore that dress…”.

Lynn May 2, 2012 at 1:06 pm

The yellow and pink lace idea… If you dream it go for it! Life is too short to worry about what is appropriate. (This is coming from a 54 year old woman who is currently worrying about what to do with a piece of very juvenile pink fabric that she bought impulsively.)

Lulu September 18, 2013 at 3:08 am

Did you ever pocketize it? I was just thinking the same thing and hoping someone else had already figured it out (so I googled it and ended up here)!

Erin September 21, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Sadly, not only have I not pocketized it, I haven’t even purchased the pattern (yet). But now that I’m looking at it …