Yet Another 1577

by Erin on April 30, 2012

A few weeks back I took a look at the laundry pile and thought “I need to make another 1577.” So here it is:
Liberty 1577

Here’s a better look at the bodice, which is Liberty city poplin ordered in a weak moment from Shaukat:

Liberty 1577 bodice

And here are the pockets:

Liberty 1577 pocket

As usual this dress is super-comfortable, with huge pockets (I can fit a whole Moleskine notebook in one). This particular Liberty print, as well, is super-powered — I’m traveling in it today because it is SO BUSY that it’s nearly impossible to stain. Seriously, I bet I could take a full ketchup dousing and come off fine. It’s that good.

Speaking of Liberty, I just noticed that Shaukat has a new category — “Seymour Stretch Poplin“. Has anyone sewn with this yet? Supposedly it has 2% elastane, which is a good thing, but they also say it’s lightweight, like Tana lawn … it’s so pretty, though!

Lynn May 2, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Ooooo! I love it. I have a weakness for paisley.

Kate Setzer Kamphausen May 3, 2012 at 1:19 am

ERIN!! I cannot believe it and you may not either:

HELLO KITTY + LIBERTY OF LONDON. For reals!!!!!!!!!

JayBee May 3, 2012 at 1:29 am

This is exquisite.

Landgirl May 4, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Oooh this is really fab, it’s so hard to find heavier cottons in Liberty, I found absolutely in the current range that had any body to it. That Seymour Stretch Poplin is almost certainly the same light weight cotton (like lawn with stretch)that I bought and used a few years back for a shirt.It’s lovely and it’s easy to work with but it’s pretty much lawn.

Ruth H. May 7, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I keep coming back to your blog and I never fail to fall in love with more adorable dresses. I love how functional this one looks–I’m a sucker for pockets, and the cut has great detail that also looks quite comfortable. Do you sew these dresses yourself? Do you use a pattern or do you just go for it? They look great!

Jesi May 8, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I saw this dress on anthropologie and it instantly made me think of you! I love the material and the collar

Freya Stark July 17, 2013 at 4:42 am

That dress looks fabulous. Buying that fabric was NOT a weak moment.
I bought a piece of Seymour poplin from Shaukat recently and found that it is indeed as dainty as Tana Lawn, which is disappointing because I didn’t notice the comparison to lawn in the description. It will not be much use to me, and I wouldn’t buy it again.