Partial view of a Simplicity 5723, with bonus authors!

by Erin on May 21, 2012

DARE_conference_May2012

Thanks to @PeterSokolowski, here’s a photo of another Simplicity 5723 — this one was taken at a lovely event for the Dictionary of American Regional English earlier this month in Madison, Wisconsin. The two spiffy gents in the photo are Simon Winchester and Jesse Sheidlower — so you get some bonus wordsmith-candy ┬áin your (ir)regularly-scheduled dress post today.

The dress is in this fabric:
rose hash print

I’ve had this fabric since November, 2008, or at least, that’s the datestamp on the file on my hard drive. Could have been earlier, but this looks suspiciously like a saved-it-from-the-eBay-listing photo. It’s a nice heavy linen-y fabric, without actually (I think) being linen, which is my favorite way for fabric to be linen-y.

When I have a minute and the dress is not in the wash (I’ve worn it every week since I’ve made it, I’m pretty sure) I will take a picture of it on the dressform, so you can see how nicely I matched the (broken, which makes it easier) plaid across the skirt panels. Until then, you will have to take my word for it.

My only problem with this dress is that I don’t (yet) have a cardigan to match it. It’s not any of the various pinks and maroons I have in my Cardiganary (that’s my new word for “cardigan library”), and I haven’t started my ambitious new project of carrying around a swatchbook of all the fabrics of dresses I have made so that I can match cardigans anytime, anywhere. (My current process is to just say “eh, maybe it matches?” and buy the cardigan. Which has not yet ended happily, especially in the very tricky “teal” family of colors.)

You also can’t see in the photo that this dress looks nice with a very skinny black patent belt. Belts are my new cardigans, I’m now trying to amass them in every color. (This can only end in tears.)

The Accidental Housewife May 21, 2012 at 10:29 am

Gosh you look pretty in that photo!

Angela May 21, 2012 at 1:06 pm

beautiful!

LinB May 21, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Or it could result in lots of belts.

Catherine Green May 21, 2012 at 3:54 pm

The dress is gorgeous but what I really love is the combination of pocket square, gingham check and casual jacket on Mr. Winchester.

Elizabeth McAlister May 21, 2012 at 3:59 pm

How lovely to see Mr. Winchester with you. You introduced me to his books, then made me a true fan when you forwarded my thanks for the introduction, and I got an email from him. I love his circuitous, lovely writing, and am forever grateful to you and your blog. A wordsmith that sews is a grand thing.

Doris May 21, 2012 at 4:10 pm

You can borrow my approach – just have 4 or 5 cardigans to go with everything: black, navy, off-white, pale pink, red. Almost everything I own would go with the black or navy; the other colors are just for fun.

Linda May 21, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Why must every dress have a sweater?

silver May 21, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Oh now that is gorgeous! Self-fabric covered belts, maybe? (I’ve never been brave enough to tackle one, buttons are hard enough.)

Joni May 23, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I don’t think it would actually look half as good with a pinky-red cardigan as it does with the black. There’s something to be said for a little contrast.

And total word on the belts. I’ve discovered that they can be bought for almost nothing on eBay and now I am hooked. I’ve discovered something that Anne Fogarty knew all along: a wide cincher belt really does make your waist look thinner.

Scrapiana May 24, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Cardiganary! Yes, every home should have one, perhaps stored in little moth-proof ziplock bags. But how would you stop them sliding off the shelf…? Yes, agree with Joni that the black is spiffing with that gorgeous painted plaid so fret not. I can see why you’re giving it a lot of wear.

Wait a minute, *THE* Simon Winchester…??! And you’re talking about cardigans…???

Mimi May 26, 2012 at 12:50 am

That fabric is magical. I mean it. Looks like a great wear-it-everywhere kinda fabric. I adore it.

E. May 28, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Love seeing your dresses!
And reading hilarious pattern stories!

I thought you might enjoy this vintage ad, it reminded me of your everfaithful 8728′s! (Number 3 in blue.)

(From what-i-found.blogspot.com/2011/12)

Penny Dreadful Vintage May 29, 2012 at 5:22 pm

That is one purty fabric. Gorgeous dress x

Penny Dreadful Vintage

Liz French May 29, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Wait a second: THE Jesse Sheidlower?