New 1577; Same Old Me

by Erin on June 12, 2012

I know this is a terrible picture, but here it is anyway:
Simplicity 1577

Note to self: ambushing sleepy twelve-year-old son on first day of summer vacation, saying “hey will you take a picture of me?” does not result in quality photoblogism.

But, this is a new Simplicity 1577, made in a few hours over the weekend. It’s blue chambray purchased at Fabric Outlet in the Mission *last* weekend, which is probably one of my fastest fabric-purchase-to-garment-sewn turnaround times in years. It’s really, really nice fabric — not terribly wrinkly and super-comfortable, especially since it seems to have no stretch to it.

Anyway, you’re seeing a picture of me in it since I have been really lazy about wrasslin’ my dresses onto the dressform for Proper Photos. By the time I get one made, I just want to WEAR it, and then I have to remember to go back and take the pictures, and that means waiting for good light, which means the weekend, and … with one thing and another, it just becomes TOO MUCH. So I figured I could either get over my laziness when it comes to new-dress dressformage, or I could get over my apprehension that posting pictures of myself leaves me open to “helpful” feedback on my weight and general appearance in the comments. (Which has actually never happened that I can remember, so … bad pictures of myself it is!)

Accessories here are a pair of Liberty Bensimons and one of my favorite Swatch watches (it has a really difficult clasp and the face is hard to read, but other than that it’s a very nice watch). I was going to wear this with a pink sweater, to match the shoes, but I ended up taking it off — the weather was gorgeous here today. The pockets are lined in a different Liberty fabric — when I do get this one onto the dress form, I’ll show you.

Connie Turner June 12, 2012 at 2:54 pm

There is nothing wrong with your weight or general appearance that is why you haven’t seen any comments about it. Love the dress btw.
ct

Jamie June 12, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Just tie a head band scarf on next time and you are good to go. Of course, you always are good to go. Maybe you’ll FEEL more “good to go”. Thanx for sharing the photo. The dress looks like a keeper and I love the outfit.

Joni June 12, 2012 at 6:38 pm

On two separate occasions I have completed a dress the same day I bought the fabric. Beat that ;)

Sallie June 16, 2012 at 8:02 pm

One time I bought the fabric and 23 hours later I had made EIGHT dresses so the girls in my daughter’s class could all dress alike for “twins” day.

Gail June 20, 2012 at 3:32 am

Wow. You win.

Cel June 12, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Yes, a semi-bad photo better than none. Thanks–the chambray even looks comfortable.

Anne June 13, 2012 at 12:53 am

You (and your dress) look great. I’d only suggest an extra cup of coffee to perk you up after wrangling a teenager out of bed.

Cal June 13, 2012 at 5:41 pm

That is a super cute dress. And it looks really good on you. I am looking forward and simultaneously dreading tackling a dress for myself soon. Seeing pictures of you wearing your creations is inspiring.

The Accidental Housewife June 13, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Oh, wow… I’m suffering from serious school uniform flashbacks! I wish I could still wear a comfy uniform day to day… do you have school uniforms where you are? Maybe stick on a brooch or something to avoid being swept up by the harried teachers running the latest excursion to the local museum ;)

Dawn June 14, 2012 at 1:14 am

Let she who is without bad hair days or so called figure flaws cast the first stone! See, nobody qualifies. You are inspiring – when I do finally break out the sewing machine I am slow as the proverbial Christmas getting anything finished. And hoping to do better this summer!

Janet williams June 19, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I used to sew all my clothes. I havent for a few decades. This dress actually inspires me—-I have been trying to find this exact thing in stores and they either dont have sleeves, or they are too short. Thanks!

Sherwin Johnson June 21, 2012 at 5:57 pm

[websites archived or pending]
To the photo, at risk of bluntness your shape does A LOT for the dress; (Especially your rack!) I, too photoed my mother whenever she ran up a dress from her considerable collection of fabrics. fr.1954 to 1964; again after 1969 then not so often. SdeHJ

peppermintpenguin July 12, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I am entirely in favour of your general appearance.

For some unknown reason your blog fell off updates of blogroll and it looked like you hadn’t posted for 4months. Until today. So now I’m catching up on 4 months of your generally appearing and it’s *all* good.

Cheers,