Fabric 411

by Erin on June 19, 2012

I am looking for some of this fabric — I think it’s called “corded cotton,” but does anyone know another name for it? Because all my normal fabric searches are coming up empty.

blue corded cotton shorts

It’s not quite seersucker — it’s that slightly raised corded cotton. I can’t find it anywhere. Did J.Crew buy it all?

Any help gratefully appreciated … I really need a Simplicity 1577 in this fabric, while it’s still summer …

Jane June 19, 2012 at 8:23 am

The picture looks like a fine corduroy or needle cord to me, I think it’s also sometimes known as pin cord. This link might help

Michelle Lee June 19, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Might it be a striped twill fabric?

Lollie June 19, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Maybe, from the deep recesses of my mind, pinwale cotton?

Lollie June 19, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Doh, googling pinwale and came up with pinwale pique. Is that it?

Murfomurf June 19, 2012 at 1:05 pm

It’s pique. You can get lightweight, medium & heavy. This is medium, I think. I remember my high school uniform was made from it in exactly that colour pictured! It was just like nurses uniforms were then as well!

Joni June 19, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Did you try Farmhouse Fabrics? They have all manner of weird things (but be prepared to pay a pretty penny for it)

dmclong June 19, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I have almost 3 yards of a green fabric you are welcome to. It is interesting stuff. Cotton, but not seersucker, nice weight to it. Just right for a cool summer climate. I don’t know what it is called. It has been prewashed.

LinB June 19, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Looks like what we used to call “rep.” I think the word is a corruption of “rib.” Should be standard in a shirting department, with oxford cloth and osnaburg. And seersucker and pique … .

Judith Guy June 19, 2012 at 5:11 pm
Lisa Laree June 19, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I remember making matching Easter outfits for my kids…and used some on the trim of my blouse…back in, oh, 1990? (a very old photo here). I’m thinking it was called ‘baby cord’. There’s nothing corduroy about it…it has no nap…but it does have kind of a ridgy texture.

Lisa Laree June 19, 2012 at 5:45 pm
Marie June 19, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Most stores call it pincord (or “pin cord”) cotton, I think.

Cecile June 19, 2012 at 11:32 pm

We used to call it Bedford cord, back in the long ago. A quick search finds the term still I use.
I’d hoped someone else would respond with that, so I could remain an anonymous lurker!

Jennifer June 20, 2012 at 1:46 am

It is pincord and a dream to work with.

kelly June 20, 2012 at 2:00 pm

How funny you would ask! I have been searching high and low, too! I consider it a seersucker and have been searching for pincord seersucker. Thanks for the tips and links!

Jen O June 20, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I used to buy my kids uniform fabric from the uniform company that serviced their school–this included your fabric type. You might try “Sue Mills” or other uniform stores to see if they carry fabric, or if it can be ordered (most do, I think).

Anne June 20, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Search for “baby cord” or “pin cord.” Here’s a source:

Gina June 21, 2012 at 2:33 am

Really, people? Erin posts a picture of a man’s crotch and you are fixated on the fabric? Not a soul mentions this ?

Erin June 21, 2012 at 4:57 am

Thanks everybody! I am so happy now. :-)

And Gina, men’s crotches are easy to find … great fabric, not so much!

LinB June 21, 2012 at 5:49 pm

EXACTLY!!!!!!!

Sunshine June 21, 2012 at 7:33 am

Wait -is that seersucker?

jaye June 21, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I think it’s seersucker. The stuff Matlock’s suits were made from (super popular for men’s summer suits)

Coco June 22, 2012 at 5:16 am

Hi. I bought white corded cotton at fashion fabrics club a couple months ago…looks just like your pic, was described as corded cotton.

julie June 23, 2012 at 3:00 am

i googled ‘cotton corded seersucker,’ and this is one that came up, but it is 75% poly…

Lynette June 24, 2012 at 5:05 pm
Lynn July 3, 2012 at 1:15 pm

A search for cotton pin cord at Denver Fabrics turned up 14 items.

I love/hate Denver Fabrics. Their shipping is a little slow, they won’t send swatches and the descriptions are not as helpful as they could be but they have some unusual and really nice stuff. Personally I can’t stop ordering the stretch twill.

Kaitlin July 10, 2012 at 1:21 am
Kelli B July 16, 2012 at 2:32 am
elizabeth speicher July 24, 2012 at 4:17 am

In the early 50′s while my family lived in Rio de Janeiro most of my father’s suits for less than formal occasions were made of pin cord. They were cool and retained a crisp appearance throughout the day and were usually pale gray/white or blue/white. My mother so admired the fabric that she had his tailor find some in pink/white and yellow/white for the dressmaker to whip up for day dresses for herself and me. It is definitely not corduroy or seersucker. If you find it, I think you will enjoy working with it and wearing it.