You’re glowing!

by Erin on July 12, 2012

I love this so very, very much:

(The way it makes you look as if you only have one arm is way cool, isn’t it?)

Unfortunately, I don’t love this TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS much, which is what it’s currently going for at The Outnet. (Jebus, who spends two large on a dress you’re not getting married in? I do not understand. And that’s ON SALE!)

I love glow-in-the-dark stuff. I had a necklace-and-earrings set in junior high (that I used to wear at the movies) … I still have the necklace, although all the glow-juice has worn off. I currently have a glow-in-the-dark watch, although I never remember to wear it (and I go to fewer movies now, and it’s not so funny to glow in the movies now that everyone is glowing as they check their iPhones when the plots start to drag).

I’d love to find some glow-in-the-dark lining fabric to use under a black lace for a dress. In the daytime it would look just like a normal lining, and at night you would look like a city nightscape! Perfect.┬áSadly, it looks like glow in the dark fabric is really expensive. Anyone know of a better source?

Karen July 12, 2012 at 3:59 am

There are tons of sites on the internet that show and tell how to make your own fabric glow in the dark–start with ehow. It’s really not expensive to do.

Piroska July 12, 2012 at 6:32 am

Love the idea of glow-in-the-dark fabric under lace, that would be beautiful!

Jane July 12, 2012 at 7:34 am

What a great idea! If you can’t get the fabric have you thought about using some fabric paint http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/250984622750?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&cbt=y just to highlight a few areas? I was thinking collars and cuffs might be fun

SuBoo July 12, 2012 at 8:05 am

Maybe an option to consider is just using glow in the dark thread for some accents for your garments – a lot more affordable and quite versatile.

K2 July 12, 2012 at 11:03 am

I don’t know about glow in the dark fabric, but they sell glow in the dark thread. You could use it to topstitch a design on your fabric. It comes in about 8 different colors. Various sellers on eBay or Amazon have it.

Modgonne July 12, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I broke my ‘no dresses out of quilting cotton’ rule to make one out of the Michael Miller glow in the dark stars fabric. Will hopefully get an outing this weekend for Bastille Day fireworks with some glowing nail polish.

Molly July 12, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Maybe you could paint some fabric, I’m pretty sure glow in the dark fabric paint exists and isn’t too expensive. That would be a super fun Halloween dress!

Claudine July 12, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I agree with the paint your own idea. I think the Dharma Trading store might be a do-able drive for you.

Becky July 12, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Michael Miller makes a Fairy Frost fabric that glows in the dark. It isn’t too expensive. Here’s a link:

Okay, go make something brilliant!

Angela July 12, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I was thinking maybe more this kind of paint, rather than dimensional paint:

It would probably make the fabric kind of stiff, but it’s got to be better than squeezing out little lines of “puff paint”. I have a friend who paints background canvasses for light shows (often glow in the dark & black-light reactive). Let me know if you want me to ask her about specific products and how much they stiffen fabric.

However, I feel like there must be a better glow in the dark dress or something out there- the Outnet one must be so expensive because it’s made up of sequins.

Talitha July 12, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I vote for paint too =) they make non-puffy kinds.

Angela July 12, 2012 at 3:58 pm

And then this:

Almost makes me think an application of powder would be a good way to go, although it might make for more of a special occasion outfit that would need to be re-powdered. Powder:

Maybe powder could also be mixed into a clear fabric paint, to make a more plyable paint?

LinB July 12, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Or, find and mount a black-light bulb on your miner’s helmet, and just wear a light-colored garment. When the lights go out, the black-light goes on, and EVERYONE glows in the dark! Probably about as easy to accomplish/afford as glow-in-the-dark clothing.

Ari July 12, 2012 at 6:25 pm

In my experience attending Reed College, a community obsessed with all things that glitter, glow, or are fun in blacklight, I’ve seen a lot of people use glow-in-the-dark fabric paint with pretty good results. The Dharma Trading link someone posted looks promising as it can be heat-set and the fabric is then washable. I think glow under lace would be absolutely fabulous.

Whitney July 14, 2012 at 2:44 pm

It must, of course, be worn with a glow-in-the-dark corsage. Yes really.

(What? It’s on the internet, it must be true!)

Paper bag machine July 15, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Really love the blog. It’s adorable!

Cal July 15, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Completely unrelated questions, but I am sure you guys are the right ones to answer it. I have been uploading some vintage patterns to the wiki; I did a couple of 60s and 70s. At what era should I stop? Are 80s pattern not suitable? 90s?
Thank you!

Erin July 15, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Cal — at the beginning we had something like 1985 as the cutoff, but now I think (since I’m seeing so many “90s revival” (!) fashions) that we should have a rolling date of ten years back. So nothing after 1992 right now. Anyone disagree?

Caroline July 17, 2012 at 4:48 am

So, not to go all English major, but I assume the rolling date would actually be 20 years back, not ten? (2012-20 = 1992) :)

Erin July 23, 2012 at 12:03 am

Ha, you’re right! I meant 20 years … very disconcerting to think that 1992 is twenty years ago …

Cal July 15, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Thank you Erin! Amazing to think of the 90s as potential vintage, but I will feel better having a clear cut off; 1992 it is then. (20 years ago! Where did time go?)

Janet Skidmore July 19, 2012 at 5:35 am

Check out http://www.theatrehouse.com. They sell dance fabrics. 10 – 12 dollar a yard range.

Marie August 6, 2012 at 7:51 pm
aaron August 13, 2012 at 7:12 pm

pretty cool

Becky August 16, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Just saw this at my local fabric store – it’s a solid glow in the dark fabric by Moda.

It’s a little stiff, but it would work better than trying to paint your own if you want that solid glow effect. I’m thinking of buying some to use as piping. Fun stuff!