No Logical Reason

by Erin on January 11, 2013

For no logical reason, I bought some laminated denim.

If you’re not familiar with laminated denim, it was a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it trend of the last season. Or maybe season before last? (Who can keep track any more?) Sewn up into skinny jeans, worn with the inevitable (and inevitably boring) drapey tee and fancy shoes and statement bag and jumble of necklaces. Every time I saw it, it was styled in a kind of leather-pants-lite way.

So since I am just about the furthest thing ever from a leather-pants person, I’m not sure why I bought it, other than that I thought “wow, I will probably never see this again, maybe I should get some” (this is how fabric hoarders are made, people). It showed up today and I kind of love it.

It’s shiny, but not latexy or leathery — it’s definitely denim with a layer of plastic on it. It’s very future-mod. The juxtaposition of the plain denim and the laminate shine is pleasantly incongruous.

The obvious thing to do would be to make a very fitted bombshell dress out of it, but I almost want to do another 9929, instead. The only problem would be gathering the fabric — it is REALLY heavy and thick. Maybe I should go back and do another Heidi? Or something else I haven’t thought of yet? This pattern would be really fun.

Suggestions? Has anyone sewn with this stuff before?

Andrea January 11, 2013 at 5:35 am

How about using it for side panels in a dress? Or tuxedo stripes (on the side) or (ooh) racing stripes on the front or back? It would either be horrible or kick off a brand new trend …

meara January 11, 2013 at 6:58 am

I have mostly avoided the leggings, but I saw a skirt made out of this sort of stuff (silvery waxed or laminated denim) in a window the other day and really liked it. So I vote pencil skirt.

peppermintpenguin January 11, 2013 at 9:01 am

AirShip Stewardess uniform.

beate January 11, 2013 at 10:49 am

wide skirt would be lovely – to go most far from skinny jeans – just make big (box)pleats instead of gathering…….

Gayle January 11, 2013 at 11:53 am

what about a rain jacket?

Joni January 11, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I would do a 1960s shift dress with an A line skirt. The kind that always stands out beautifully on the pattern envelope but is a floppy fail in real life uless you sew it out of laminated denim.

mjb January 11, 2013 at 1:31 pm

It screams skirt to me – something with the shape of a 70′s wrap skirt without actually wrapping.

Shelley January 11, 2013 at 3:26 pm

9929 bodice & Heidi skirt! I love the simplicity and fit of the bodice, and the Heidi skirt does away with the potential challenges of the gathers (maybe also for box pleats?). You’d have to decide about the Heidi pockets, of course!

Hambone January 11, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Erin,
On a recent thrifting jaunt I found this Calvin Klein dress with a wacky faux leather midriff. Now the dress itself is rather bombshell, but the use of contrasting material in the wide midriff band is pretty snazzy. Vote midriff band!

Maris Olsen January 11, 2013 at 4:24 pm

How about a structured jacket – like a jeans jacket?

silvia January 11, 2013 at 4:33 pm

My gut tells me that it would read way to junior as a dress. Why not may a vintage inspired jacket. I could see it being a little swing jacket. It’s a good weight for our nor cal climate.

I will keep my eyes peeled to see what you do come up with. It rather to pretty to languish in the stash.

laura k January 11, 2013 at 4:44 pm

My first thought was pencil skirt, too, but that might be a little too va-va-voom. Someone mentioned using it as the side panels on a dress or pair of trousers and I LOVE that idea. The AirShip Stewardess idea struck my fancy as well, and yes, it would probably be perfect for one of those 60s style A-Line dresses. Something tells me it would work best as an accent with some other fabric, but I honestly have no idea what this fabric is really like.

Can’t wait to see what you come up with, though!

Cathy January 11, 2013 at 4:59 pm
Evalyn January 11, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I vote for another Heidi. Because I love that pattern and because the fabric looks too heavy to gather, and needs some structure.

Shannon Phillips January 11, 2013 at 11:37 pm

I do not have suggestions for laminated denim, but I did want to bring this pattern to your attention: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAB-VINTAGE-70s-INVERTED-WAIST-EVENING-GOWN-DRESS-Misses-Sewing-Pattern-5850-14-/160947362742

TOTALLY an airship hostess uniform!

Shannon Phillips January 11, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Of course the modern airship hostess may want an option for pants: http://www.etsy.com/listing/105044159/1970s-dress-tunic-pants-designer-fashion

Rose January 12, 2013 at 12:32 am

Is it crazy of me to think that you should make some sort of Emma Peel catsuit for yourself? Much more classsy way to use it than the drapey–tee look. (Gaah I HATE drapey, shapeless, asymmetrical tees)

Redhedhels January 12, 2013 at 1:41 pm

When I clicked on the links in your post, Heidi leapt out at me as being designed with this fabric in mind – it would look amazing. I also love Andrea’s idea of using it as panels in a dress. Maybe using it as front and back panels, with something strong but with a bit of give on the side panels would make out plenty wearable. Can’t wait to see what you decide.

Redhedhels January 12, 2013 at 1:45 pm

When I followed the links in your post Heidi leapt out as being designed with this fabric in mind. I also like Andrea’s idea of using it as panelling for a dress- maybe you could use it as front and back panels with something strong but with a bit of give for the side panels. This might make the whole thing more wearable, too.

Packrat January 13, 2013 at 1:10 am

I tend to agree that this would work best for a jacket or coat. It might work for straight (or very slightly A-line) skirt. Test: wrap it around your shoulders or hips and “wear” it for a while. Is it too stiff, too bulky, too hot, etc.

Heidi January 13, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I think it would make a fab bodice with a patterned skirt. A bodice that cries out for lots of darts and shaping would be perfect. Paired with a full skirt and a self belt from the denim and the buckle of the contrasting skirt fabric sounds wonderful to me.

Bri January 15, 2013 at 12:29 am

I’ve never sewn with this fabric but I’m intrigued as to how it will go for you.

Vernelle January 16, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Even though it was popular last season, don’t let it go to waste.

Why not use the shiny stuff to make accents on a blazer or coat? … Collar, pocket flaps, yoke, covered buttons? You could even use it to add accents to a pair of jeans or a skirt… or make a purse.

Tamara January 17, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Okay so how about http://d111vui60acwyt.cloudfront.net/product_photos/1591815/IMG_5725_medium.png It is just a basic circle skirt but its got edge and fun to it.

Or using it with a stretch fabric and alternating panels? Like this http://www.bigblondehair.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/ASOS-leather-panel-mini-dress.png but just a different panel pattern?

Tam

Kristen January 20, 2013 at 5:20 pm

I like the bombshell idea, but then, who wouldn’t? And that last pattern is super cute – it also has gathers though, no? Looking forward to the finished product on this one!

Yvette January 25, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Love the idea of a Heidi in this fabric–sort of Trinity (from the Matrix) goes to a PTA meeting. A semi-full a-line skirt (something like the Sewaholic Hollyburn skirt?) might have a similar badass/proper-lady vibe.