Today’s Pattern Story: Simplicity 9935

by Erin on January 13, 2013

Simplicity 9935

Alison: Okay girls, everyone straight on the mission? Find your target, then catch, clamp, drag. Celia, you’re without a bridesmaid today, you gonna be good on your own?

Celia: No worries, Sarge, I got this. I’ll bring back a good one.

Alison: Bridesmaids, don’t be hasty. Select those targets with care. Catch and release was last week, this is live fire exercise. Repeat, this is a live fire exercise. I’ll see everyone back at Pastor Rivendale’s at 3 pm sharp, or the ice cream cake is gonna be soggy by the time we’re through with the ceremonies. Now — are we ready?

All: Hoo-AH!

[Lots of vendors for today's pattern on the Vintage Pattern Wiki.]

Lisette January 13, 2013 at 11:07 pm

HILARIOUS! All the more so because I own this pattern :)

TE January 13, 2013 at 11:21 pm

I had this pattern WHEN IT WAS NEW!! Sewed it out of pale purple dotted swiss!! Good thing the “live fire exercise” note wasn’t in the pattern envelope. The mission would have failed due to the pale purple dotted swiss.

Lisa Laree January 14, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I actually have a photo of that dress made up…made it for my very first high school dance in …which I believe was Christmas of 1973. Oy….

Vintage sewing

Packrat January 14, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Funny! I also have this pattern.

Hoosiermama January 14, 2013 at 7:57 pm

It occurred to me that I really should tell you how much I ADORE your pattern stories. Some of them have literally had me in tears. The whole concept is just genius and you have the most amazing insight into what is going on inside those women’s heads.

Erin January 15, 2013 at 4:37 am

Thank you!

Nathalie January 14, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I don’t have this pattern but the story is fab! One of your funniest, and that is high praise indeed.

Erin January 15, 2013 at 4:47 am

Thanks :-)

AnaJan January 15, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Hi Erin,
I wanted to let you know I’m getting a malware message when trying to access your blog. Additionally, since I’m subscribed to A Dress A Day, accessing my blog results with the same message. Unfortunately, I’ll have to unsubscribe from your blog, but I hope you’ll fix this unpleasant and irritating issue soon.
Best of luck! Ana

Erin January 15, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Thanks Ana! It turns out that some of the OTHER blogs on my host’s network are compromised. :-( They’re dealing with it now and I hope it gets updated very soon!

BMGM January 16, 2013 at 5:06 pm

I love this story, too. But, wouldn’t sarge use military time, 15:00?

Erin January 16, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Oh, you’re probably right. Although I kind of love the idea of them all showing up at three AM …

Vernelle January 16, 2013 at 7:25 pm

WOW! That looks eerily like the wedding gown I wore back in 1969. Long bell sleeves. Mine was white brocade with braided lace borders along the cuffs, neckline and hem. I was too nervous to make it myself, so my grandmother, who was a professional seamstress, did it for me. She added an 8 foot detachable train and I had a milliner make a customized headdress.

The bridesmaids wore dresses made from the same pattern… Short sleeves… Mint green satin.

Thanks for the memories.

Twinsane_Mum (Jules) January 18, 2013 at 12:24 am

OMG! This is the pattern Mum sewed her bridesmaids dresses from in 1974! Tomorrow is my parents anniversary too. She tells me it was a lovely 40C degree day (104 F)! Similar to the crazy hot weather we are experiencing here now in Melbourne (AUS)

Rachel January 21, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Hee! My mom had this pattern – in the 70s she sewed wedding dresses for friends and acquaintances in exchange for random things. And then she made me one out of a sheet for a Hallowe’en costume one year!

Berenice January 21, 2013 at 8:15 pm

HA! Not only did I wear this dress in high school (shortened the skirt), but I still own the pattern and made a formal for my daughter last year for a 70′s themed dance for school. Hmmm… never throw your patterns away!

Bev February 4, 2013 at 10:59 am

Well it’s not just me, then. I too wore the blue bridesmaid version, in a nifty dusty pink satin with a rough sort of veloury surface ( don’t know the technical term). It went great with my bowl cut and buck teeth. I was seven. Or maybe six. EEK.