Scenes from a Sewing Room

by Erin on February 13, 2013

I’ve been a little scattered with sewing projects lately — not a lot of time to sew, so I end up doing the easy parts (pockets, collars) of dresses when I’m tired, and then leaving the hard parts (buttonholes, zippers) for some fresh morning (that never comes).

Here are some scattered pics of “coming soon” projects:
Echino

The Echino on top will most likely be a 9929; the red floral is a new pattern I’m working on. Here’s the pocket for it:
cheery pocket

Here’s another disembodied part, a collar, interfaced with organza (using temporary spray adhesive!), for a new black shirtdress. (This dress is so boring that I can only sew on it in ten-minute intervals, but I don’t have a Good Black Dress and what if, heaven forbid, someone died?)

organza-interfaced collar

I love this pattern, it’s been on the top of the stack for a while:
Woman W3 pattern

Maybe in this gingham?
Gingham

Melanie February 14, 2013 at 4:54 am

..and the difference between that last pattern and a 9929 is…?
(nice fabrics BTW)

Joni February 14, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Ooh, Flea Market Fancy! Those are such fun prints.

Piroska February 14, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Fancy that, I’ve got the same pattern as the second “Woman” one! I made it up in green cotton http://piroskawolf.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/australia-day-dress.html
I found the neck hole very small, but other than that its good, the skirt is nice and full. Will look forward to seeing your version.

livebird February 14, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Not only have I made that Woman pattern (well, the bodice half, anyway) but I actually wore it to your book-signing event here in Melbourne! Funny coincidence. Here’s mine: http://makeitfakeit.wordpress.com/2011/11/12/bright-sunshiney-fail/

Serenity February 14, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I thought I was the only person to keep an updated and seasonal mourning dress. Folks call me all kinds of morbid…

Jen O February 14, 2013 at 3:59 pm

LOVE that top floral border print! In the meantime, I have to agree with Joni: you already have this pattern in 9299, which you have the security of knowing it fits great and looks cute. This “woman” version has a higher neckline, and slightly wider shoulders. You could make those changes to 9299 in no time!

lsaspacey February 14, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I would love to see a pic of your stash, both fabric and patterns. I bet others would to, how about it?

Erin February 14, 2013 at 10:36 pm

I’m not sure it would fit in the viewfinder. I’d have to get up on the roof. I have a problem!

Jenny G. February 14, 2013 at 8:09 pm

I have that same Echino print, and have been looking for a pattern to show the print to it’s fullest. I’m really excited to see how yours turns out!

Janet in Forest Knolls February 16, 2013 at 5:25 am

Hi Erin,
So great to hear about some things you are working on. I really love the pattern envelope dramas, but I was starting to miss hearing about what you are sewing also. So thanks! I love your blog!

Elizabeth February 16, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Love the idea of this post. Very cute!

Minya, Warrior Seamstress February 19, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Updated & seasonal mourning dress? That’s what sleeved black sheaths are for. Erin, do you still have the black bandanna print you made in March 2008?

Erin February 19, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Unfortunately that black bandanna dress developed a case of the dreaded triangular tear. :-(

Minya, Warrior Seamstress February 21, 2013 at 1:46 am

I liked that dress–the right blend of dressy and practical, the print keeping it from being a one-occasion-only garment. It’s a singularly elegant solution to a 90-degree, 90% humidity August funeral. I’m considering making one myself, with a white collar and cuffs.

Erin February 21, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Thanks! I was actually thinking about re-making it — not the exact pattern, but another black bandanna print shirtdress. I’m keeping an eye out for a true black bandanna print. Some of them are kind of greenish black.

That statement right there is why I am unable at this point to ever buy readymade again. Nothing is ever right! :-)

Lucy February 20, 2013 at 4:46 am

Love this pattern, I searched for it to purchase(Ebay,Etsy) come up with nothing. Is that the correct brand name Woman?

Erin February 20, 2013 at 6:01 pm

That brand is an Australian one, as far as I can tell — you may have better luck searching Ebay Australia. Good luck!

Deb March 28, 2013 at 2:06 am

Amen about the zipper being a challenge! I’d rather put in buttonholes all day, every day!