The Hundred Dresses: Day 25

by Erin on June 27, 2013

Hey, did everyone see the super-nice slideshow Elle.com did of The Hundred Dresses? Check it out!

Here’s another Simplicity 1577 (they keep going, and going …). This one is in Liberty city poplin:
Liberty poplin Simplicity 1577

I love this weight of Liberty, I wish they would make MUCH MUCH MORE of it. Here’s a closer view:
Liberty poplin Simplicity 1577

It’s a smooth, tight, silky weave, and heavier than Tana lawn. Here, look EVEN CLOSER:
Liberty poplin Simplicity 1577

The zipper on this one, though, is a C-. And that’s generous.
Liberty poplin Simplicity 1577

Here, you can see where I had to do a little bit of “there, I fixed it!” at the top:
Liberty poplin Simplicity 1577

Here’s the back view, for completeness’ sake:
Liberty poplin Simplicity 1577

And since y’all were so helpful with my collar question of yesterday (check out this FashionIncubator post), new question: how would you put a fuller skirt on this pattern? I don’t know whether it would be better to Frankenstein a skirt from another pattern, or whether I should suck it up and redraft this skirt (with its PERFECT POCKETS) to be fuller … and if the latter, how? Suggestions welcome!

Lynn June 27, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Oooo! Paisley! I love paisley.

I’m all about frankenpatterns myself, but if you have the skills draft a new skirt. Save the pockets.

peppermintpenguin June 27, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I love this, and it’s going to look good with *every* colour of cardigan and shoes!

Melissa June 27, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I love that fabric!

Margaret June 27, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Thanks for showing all your fixes and your zippers. You’re one of my idols, so if you can wear a dress with a C zipper, I can, too! I know a lot of people don’t recommend quilting cotton, so I was developing shame about sewing with it. it’s nice to see how many awesome dresses you’ve made with it.

Kristen June 27, 2013 at 6:01 pm

a few pleats across the back? Like the shoulders of that W3 dress, maybe? Can you just cut the back piece(s) wider and do that? Funny how when a question like this comes up, suddenly a decade and a half of sewing doesn’t feel like enough experience! :)

yy hom June 27, 2013 at 6:27 pm

erin, just found your blog & am enjoying ’100 dresses’ countdown very much. a few questions:

1) many of your dresses have been made from quilt-weight cotton, which often has crazy good prints. i have wondered whether garments made from it would be a little stiff: could you pls comment? would calico garments behave the same way?
2) are your dresses lined inside? how do you finish your seams/ hems? have seen some bias & tape @ neckline & armhole in pix.
3) any zipper-free, slip-over-your-head, t-shirt type or wrap dresses in the list? or dresses made with knit materials? you’ve had some button-front/ button-bodice dresses, but for those of us who are fastener-fearful…

thx for your time & am looking forward to your future posts!

Erin June 27, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Thanks!

1. I think quilting cotton makes nice garments — they’re not terribly stiff, but they’re not silky, either. If you’re used to knit fabrics they will feel stiffer, of course.
2. I use bias tape for necklines and armholes, and zigzag over the raw seam edges. I never line anything if I can help it. :-)
3. No fastener-free dresses! I’ve never gotten in to sewing with knits. Someday …

KimP June 27, 2013 at 7:52 pm

I’m all about the frankenpattern, myself. But I don’t get all worked up if a skirt and bodice don’t line up perfectly – if the darts are off by 1/16th of an inch, I’m not losing sleep. But for some sewers the throught of it would really bother them . . .

The Sewing French Girl June 28, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Some pleats (box pleats maybe?) would be a good idea. Otherwise you could slash and spread. For instance divide the back and front pattern in 3. You have 2 lines to slash from hem to the waist but don’t cut all the way in the waist, just leave 1/8th attached. Then spread the pattern to the desired fullness. True the waist, the hem, make sure all seams length still match and adjust the grain !