The Hundred Dresses: Day 30

by Erin on July 2, 2013

The key to this dress is … keys:
key print Vogue 9929 front

I posted about this one last October, and I’ve worn it tons since the beginning of warm weather this year:

key print Vogue 9929 bodice

I’m entranced by antique keys lately — and I’m not the only one. (I saw a really interesting dress in the windows of Columbia College weighted down with thirty pounds of keys — PDF here.) This fabric is still available in lots of places … this coral/peach colorway is nice, and this more ditsy/antiquey key print is nice, too.

The zipper here is slightly out of focus, but I think it’s about a B-:
key print Vogue 9929 zipper

And here’s the back:
Key print Vogue 9929 back

This is a fun dress to wear — it feels very summery, and the green is really bright. (Also, it goes nicely with my favorite gray Keds …) When I first made this dress I thought that the dark teal color in the print would make it work for cooler weather, but that really didn’t happen. This is definitely a hot-day dress (for me, at least).

Now that we’re a third of the way through (almost) the hundred dresses — how are people liking this series? Anything you’d like to see more (or less) of? Do you like a lot of the same dress pattern in a row, or would you like me to mix it up more? More detail? Less detail? Please let me know in the comments … and if you’ve read The Hundred Dresses-the-book and have an opinion, please feel free to review it on your favorite bookseller’s site …

Tricia July 2, 2013 at 9:53 am

Keep ’em coming, Erin! I am enjoying the series — and marveling at the wonderful fabrics you find.

Kirrily July 2, 2013 at 10:06 am

Love it so far. Look forward to each day. Love seeing the same pattern in diff fabrics but would like to see more variety in styles, so perhaps a bit mixing up good. The whole series is great. Getting book as bday gift, can’t wait.

peppermintpenguin July 2, 2013 at 10:19 am

I’m lovin’ it! Will we be revisiting your ‘midriff era’?

your dresses are all so wearable and interesting. That is such a redundant remark. My apologies.

Susan July 2, 2013 at 10:41 am

I love this series. I too look forward to each day’s dress.

KimP July 2, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Shirtdresses! When do the shirtdresses start???

Erin July 2, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Soon! :-) I just made two from a new pattern …

Melissa July 2, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I love seeing all the dresses and the fabrics. I also appreciate when you show us a mistake or point out when something cool happened, like accidentally matching the pattern. :-)

WendyP July 2, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I don’t care if it’s the same pattern or not. I just like seeing the dresses and the fabrics. I wouldn’t mind seeing a few examples of A and B+ side zippers – it seems like most of them so far have been Cs according to your scale. In any case, I love the dresses!

NancyG July 2, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Love it. I like seeing what you do with conversational prints.
Agree with WendyP about the zippers…
The Hundred Dresses is one of my favorite Eleanor Estes books.

kelly July 2, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I am LOVING it! And I feel completely validated because I make the same patterns over and over again, too!! Thank you for sharing with us!

Sheila July 2, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Love seeing all of the dress. The different fabric, make them all unique, so it doesn’t bother me seeing the same pattern. Take care, have a great day :)

Louise July 2, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I’m really enjoying this series- so much that I hope you will do another 100!

lsaspacey July 2, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Ooh, I really love the collar on this one, very 60s.

Cel July 2, 2013 at 10:39 pm

I confess I love seeing the same pattern two or three or four times in a row. I enjoy every morsel of this series.

bani July 3, 2013 at 8:33 am

I’m really enjoying this! I’d like to see more photos of you in the dresses, because it’s a little hard to get the full idea when it’s just on the dress form. But I respect that it can be difficult. Also – you don’t have a tag for the series, so it’s going to be harder to find later. :O

silvervisions July 3, 2013 at 8:46 am

I’m oohing and aahing over the novelty prints, and delighted by special details such as pocket linings and the reverse of collars. I have patterns I’ve been using for over 20 years (alas having adjusted the sizes up a bit), I think that when you use wildly varied fabrics and mix up the skirt lengths now and then no-one ever notices that you keep making clothes to the same pattern :)

Ruth July 3, 2013 at 9:03 am

I am loving this series too. You really sewed a hundred dresses? Unbelievable! I know we are only a third of the way through, so maybe I should not ask this question yet, but along the route to a hundred, have you ever considered a return to the “old-fashioned” lapped side zipper. I ask, because after years of sewing and mastering all kinds of zipper insertion, I have come to the conclusion that a lapped zipper is sometimes the BEST option.