The Hundred Dresses: Day 32

by Erin on July 4, 2013

Happy Fourth of July/Independence Day, for those of you who celebrate it! I celebrate it, because today is also my wedding anniversary. (Happy 20th to my dear husband, hope you can put up with me for twenty more years …)

Here is a thematically-appropriate Vogue 9929:
dots Vogue 9929 front

This dress was a bit of a pain to put together, but it’s been really fun to wear. (I like to match it with a pale-blue cardigan and red Keds.)

dots Vogue 9929 bodice closeup

This zipper is pretty decent, maybe a B- (you may have figured out by now that I’m a harsh grader when it comes to zippers. But I really really prefer invisible zippers, so, goshdarnit, I’m gonna keep working until I get them all perfect. Or at least to B+ level.)
dots Vogue 9929 zipper

Here’s another bodice view — I wavered back and forth between thinking I wanted to center the bodice between rows of dots or on a single row of dots, and eventually went for between. I think maybe I should have gone single-row.
dots Vogue 9929 bodice 2

And the back:
dots Vogue 9929 back

I posted about this dress last year, too. Happy Fourth!

MaggyD July 4, 2013 at 9:28 am

Ooh, am I first? Happy Independence day to you, and a happy anniversary! Did your bridesmaids wear red, white, and blue?

Virginia July 4, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I don’t celebrate the 4th of July, but I can definitely appreciate a pretty dress. :)

peppermintpenguin July 4, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Happy Anniversary to you both!

Splendidly festive dress.

Susan July 4, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I’ve noticed your references to Keds – do you no longer wear loafers? Or are Keds your summer shoes?

Love the dress.

Inky July 4, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Love this series and love your style! The 4th of July is our anniversary! We’ve been married for 32 years. Best wishes for a joyous day, Erin.

Wendy July 4, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Hello – I think if you had centered the bodice between rows of dots or on a single row of dots it would have been too distracting; your eye would have went straight to that row. With the way you’ve planned the dots, your eye takes in the whole dress/bodice instead of going straight for that centered row. I think it looks perfect – nice job!

Susanjc July 4, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Is this a knit? What a happy print.
And Happy 20th (polka dot?) anniversary.

Melanie July 5, 2013 at 3:39 am

Interesting, I was thinking there’s something not right here, and on reading your post I realised my eye was searching for symmetry and not finding it. I think a row down the middle would have done the trick, but as Wendy says maybe it would have been distracting to some people. As long as whatever you did was intentional that makes it art :-)

Floridaprincess July 6, 2013 at 5:33 am

Happy Anniv Erin.

I was thinking of you a few days ago when I bought
Paris map fabric.

Sandy July 8, 2013 at 12:53 am

Hello, new reader here, catching up on the hundred dresses! Happy anniversary to you and the hubs and I think this dress is my favorite so far, followed closely by the black/white gingham. Looking forward to seeing the rest!