Cloudy with a chance of procrastination

by Erin on October 3, 2013

Things have been busy around Dressadayland lately. Lots of work, lots going on … and after the massive 100 days of dresses blogamaradressathon, I was all set with a big list of other things I wanted to blog about again. I’ve got some cool books piled up to review, I have some plans for dress dataviz based on my kinda-mostly up-to-date Google Doc tracking the 100 dresses postings, and also some auxiliary pictures (I didn’t post any skirts, for instance, and there were several “hey show us your whole closet!” picture requests). So that thing where you have a lot of plans and they all seem kind of huge and where are you going to start and oh by the way your day job is super-busy and also you might be having some kind of RSI problem that means you have to cut down on some typing for a week or two? Yeah, that. That is what has happened.

BUT. Things have settled down ever-so-slightly, I am no longer having disturbing pins-and-needles sensations in both hands, AND I went to XOXOfest weekend before last in Portland, so I came back super-inspired to DO STUFF. (And, evidently, to use a lot of CAPS for EMPHASIS.)

I will post more about XOXO, which was awesome and amazing and all the other affectionate adjectives that begin with A, but I did want to share this dress I made specifically to wear at the conference, which is in Portland, Oregon. Have you ever seen fabric that is more perfectly location-matched?

rainy-day dress

This is a Frankenstein dress — the same combination of patterns as this dress. Here’s the bodice; I’m really digging these raglan sleeves:

rainy day dress bodice

Here’s the zipper, which, well, I’m very proud of. This one really worked:

rainy day dress zipper

And the back:

rainy day dress back

This fabric is from Superbuzzy — the gray colorway is gone, but they still have a (very cute) navy and white

peppermintpenguin October 3, 2013 at 8:28 am

A is for Awesome.

Scrapiana October 3, 2013 at 10:30 am

Raglan sleeves! Have just been dreaming about those after posting about a raglan-sleeved rayon blouse made circa 1942 from a really wonderful Arnold Lever propaganda print: http://scrapiana.com/2013/10/01/jacqmar-calling/ Isn’t it bright and beautiful? I’d love to locate the vintage blouse pattern it was made from, if remotely possible. Maybe a DAD reader can help? You never know.

Peggy October 3, 2013 at 2:10 pm

So lovin’ the raglan sleeve………………….. wish it was a “modern” pattern.

alison October 3, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I was at XOXO too! I meant to come over and introduce myself to you, but I never got around to it. I mentioned to a friend that I wanted to meet you, he said something about Wordnik, and I was like, “No, because of the dresses! THE DRESSES!” He did not know about the dresses.

Anyway, I’ve read this blog for a long time. If they have XOXO next year (Andys willing!), I will make sure to say hi.

LadyRuna October 3, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I wish you’d posted that you were coming to Portland, OR… we could have done lunch! Oh well. Love that dress. Since I live in rainy PDX, I’m going to have to get some of that fabric just because it is so Portlandia.

Emily October 3, 2013 at 3:59 pm
AliceM October 3, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I love the clouds! Have you tried putting the zipper in upside down yet? A commenter mentioned that a while back, and I’m still thinking about it.

Doris October 3, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Beautiful dress! Glad to see a new post, too!

Cel Petro October 3, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Missed you!! This is a great dress, I’m going looking for a with this cut of raglan sleeve–best fabric.

Connie October 4, 2013 at 12:12 am

I missed you so much! I REALLY DID! I knew that you must be really busy to neglect your readers for so long. The dress is wonderful great sewing job and the zipper looks great. Love the fabric.

Berenice October 4, 2013 at 5:00 am

Fab Fabric, I was kinda having dress withdrawal!

dresses October 7, 2013 at 10:11 pm