Offering a Bounty

by Erin on March 26, 2007

DVF ginkgo dress

Check out this dress, from Diane von Furstenberg (click on the link to visit the sale page at Bloomingdale's, where it's $325).

I'm not a huge fan of this style of dress, but the fabric … I *REALLY* want this fabric. I really want about five yards of this fabric! I've been looking for ginkgo fabric forever.

So I'm offering a bounty. If you can tell me where the DVF sells her bolt-ends, and I am able to find this fabric off your clue, I will make you a circle skirt. Seriously. (And I *never* sew for other people, except very occasionally my sister.)

(Thanks also to everyone who commented on Saturday's puzzle dress! I had a great time at the tournament, but I fell short of my goal … I wanted to finish as contestant 666, but I only managed to come in at 609. So about 55 fewer people than planned can now say "I beat a dictionary editor at crosswords!" Of course, there's always next year … )

Cassey March 26, 2007 at 8:54 am

a simple google search brings up a Japanese themed ginkgo quilting fabric at: are gorgeous! I hadn’t thought of how pretty ginkgo could be before.

Erin March 26, 2007 at 8:58 am

Oh, believe me, I’ve googled gingko until the g keys on my keyboard are worn down to little nubs. Unfortunately, one of those has gold paint (which I don’t do) and the other is mostly polyester (also a no, for me). :-(The DVF fabric is silk georgette …

frae March 26, 2007 at 9:10 am

erin — i don’t know what to suggest besides contacting the DvF wholesale and corporate sales dept. [ or 212-741-6607] or their customer service dept. [ or 1-888-472-2DVF]. i don’t know if it’s available other than through them; i’ve looked, too.i hope you find some; i’d love to see what you do with it!

city girl March 26, 2007 at 10:02 am

hello!Mood Fabrics (of Project Runway fame) sells desinger fabrics. You might want to try them, their nbr is 212-730-5003 or info@moodfabrics.comgood luck!

Jacob March 26, 2007 at 10:19 am

I found few DVF fabrics at I suppose you could keep an eye on it and see if your beloved gingko leaves ever show up there.

stacy March 26, 2007 at 11:10 am
floribunda... aka Julie March 26, 2007 at 12:43 pm

lots of gingko fabrics here, including some nice batiks: — just do a search for thumbnails of “gingko”Julie

Laurie March 26, 2007 at 3:33 pm

Try Britex. They have a mail order swatch service and have been know to carry DVF in the past:

Anonymous March 26, 2007 at 10:05 pm

Erin,Back in the day, I was a fabric buyer for bridal/better dress fabrics. One of the best sources for designer ends was a company called London Textiles. The store I bought for is no longer in business (not my fault!) but I know Josephine’s Dry Goods ( used to buy from them too. No guarantee, but it might help in your quest for DVF ends. Good Luck!

Anonymous March 26, 2007 at 10:20 pm

Please accept this suggestion in a helpful manner and not a smarty-pants way, but it’s “ginkgo,” not “gingko.” Might help in your search. :-)

jane March 27, 2007 at 12:24 am

Karen Walker here in New Zealand used almost the same fabric in a blouse about 2 years ago. The leaves were slightly smaller and it was a fine silk but not a silk georgette. I have called a friend who works for her to see if they have any scragg ends. Can nearly always pick up 3 or 4 metres.

Marie-Christine March 27, 2007 at 2:01 am

You know Erin, you’re a girl who likes to do things, why don’t you consider and strew your own ginko leaves here there and everywhere? It’s much easier than you think, no need of a whole workshop, you can just use a sponge in your own kitchen :-). Granted it’d take you a while to do a whole 5 yards, but you might feel temporarily satisfied with just putting a few everywhere till DVF gives up what you need…

Marie-Christine March 27, 2007 at 2:04 am

Oops, I think that link got partially eaten.. It’s the ‘spring leaves’ stencil from Diane Ericson

Kelly March 27, 2007 at 8:07 am

Hello Erin,I am going to Lost Wages (Las Vegas):):) in four days and I was planning on looking for fabric anyway, because the choices in Alaska are slim pickings. I will look for you too. I have never looked in Vegas for fabric. Would anyone have sugestions on where to go? When I looked at there were 90 choices. There is no way I can see 90 fabrics stores in three days :):):) It would be fun to try but in reality I can maybe see two or three at most. Thanks to anyone who has suggestions!Kelly @ tanasattic

Erin March 27, 2007 at 8:28 am

Arrgh! I always mistype ginkgo, even when it’s right in front of me.Ditto fuchsia. I *usually* remember to look it up, though!Thanks so much to everyone who has made suggestions so far. And Kelly, I’d check for fabric store suggestions in Vegas! Have fun! (Vegas is also supposed to have good thrift stores.)

Nancy Bea Miller March 27, 2007 at 8:58 am

Gorgeous gingko pattern. Don’t like the dress much though. Looks like you would have to spend a lot of time keeping it on, up, down etc. If you have to work hard to stay decent…what’s the point?

Villain Extraordinaire March 27, 2007 at 8:59 am
theresa March 27, 2007 at 12:53 pm

For those of you who like the fabric, but not the dress, DVF has it in her signature wrap dress. Also in Navy Blue.

Jamie March 27, 2007 at 5:51 pm

Kelly,Check out Heddy’s Fabrics when you are in Las Vegas- it’s a small store, but jam packed with high-end and hard-to-find fabrics, unlike most of the chain stores in Vegas, which tend to carry a lot of ugly polyesters.

Classy Gal March 27, 2007 at 5:53 pm

I love the style of the dress, wonder if it comes in another color, though?

dawn March 27, 2007 at 9:06 pm

In addition to Diane Ericson’s stencils, already mentioned, there are ginkgo stamps made for fabric: be done fairly fast I suppose, and on just about any

AmeliaB March 27, 2007 at 11:31 pm

Sorry, I don’t have any sugestions. The fabric IS lovely though. It reminds me of dandilion seeds :-).~Amelia

Myrte March 28, 2007 at 6:27 am

From being in the design industry my experience is that fabrics are taken out of the fabric collection as someone like Diane Von Furstenberg can afford to get this fabric exclusively. You’ll only be able to get left-overs (don’t think that’s easy, you need to know people in the right places)or knock-offs. Nuthin’wrong with that though. I often get frustrated as I see the newest fabrics of suppliers I can’t buy for myself, unless I buy 500 meters.Myrte

Miz Shoes March 28, 2007 at 9:55 am
zannestar March 29, 2007 at 11:25 am

Years ago I used to get bolt ends of Donna Karan, Calvin Klein, Geoffrey Bean and others at Paron don’t think they advertise as jobbers, but they had plenty of yummy stuff! You probably won’t find it on-line, you’ll have to visit – usually in their Annex. And I think their new place is close to wear the DVF design offices are, it’s right around the corner from the last DVF sample sale I went to (and didn’t get anything, all those wrap dresses were a size 2 or 4!)If Paron doesn’t take ends anymore, they might know who does. good luck!

Mizufae March 30, 2007 at 5:42 am

maybe this was already mentioned here but doesnt appear to be made of evil materials or have gold ink…

Kelly March 31, 2007 at 2:56 am

Thanks Jamie.. I will check out Heddy’s when I am in Vegas.

Kathy April 1, 2007 at 12:36 am

Interesting challange. I found ginkgos in rayon on black – color choices of green, deep red and brown I think. Might be more.Here is the page: came over to read your rules on buying yardage. Your writing is great.(email is to Kelly? I live in Vegas – don’t know where you got that count but WAY off. We don’t have that many fabric stores – a fair amount of quilt stores. Heddys is a good place to head for unusual.

TurabianNights April 3, 2007 at 12:57 am

So I’m a lurker, and have never commented before, but this morning on my way to work, I saw a non DVF dress with a practically identical print in the window of a local shop. They were closed, so I couldn’t go in and ask, but I’m going to try and go in tomorrow to see if I can get more info… I saw this dress myself a few weeks ago, and fell in love with the print, though I can’t say the same about the design of the dress.

Charlotte April 4, 2007 at 9:38 pm

Well boo. It turns out that the dress WAS a DVF dress, but it was an entirely different fabric than the Bloomingdale’s dress. Apparently, this print is available in the silk shown, and in a knit, which is what the dress I saw was made of. No leads on where to find it, but some extra info, I guess.

Anonymous April 7, 2007 at 11:10 am

hello. just found your blog and like it.I just moved from New York City where I used to buy designer fabrics at Mood and B&J Fabrics. They both have web sites I think. good luck finding the print!

Anonymous October 15, 2007 at 11:27 am
Colleen April 9, 2009 at 11:52 pm

I know this post was forver ago, but I host an online collection of ginkgo themed items, perhaps one of the hundreds of textiles I’ve discovered might fit your needs?www.myginkgotree.comI’m ALWAYS finding more.Also check out Spoonflower. They print your fabric designs for you at 18/yrd