At Long Last I’ve Found You

by Erin on April 12, 2011

McCalls_5433

The funny thing is that I didn't know I desperately needed this pattern (McCall's 5433, for those of you playing at home) until I saw it. And then I was all "you must — must, I say! — be mine." (Luckily, when I saw the pattern it was on eBay, so that was easy.)

The only dark spot in my otherwise unmarred expanse of joy is that the cummerbund is a cummerbund, and not an actual midriff band. But that can be … dealt with. Also: the gored skirt is going to be pocketized. (That's a given.)

Anyway: I cannot WAIT to make this, let alone wear it. Question: in what fabric should this humdinger first take flight? No brocade, I want to wear this every day.

(I'm also thinking of using this skirt with the bodice of the BurdaStyle Heidi. Thoughts?)

Violet April 12, 2011 at 5:19 am

A nice crisp linen/blend, solid or a small print. Or pique for the straight skirt version. And the Heidi bodice would be great with this skirt, although in my opinion this bodice is more interesting.

Sarah @ ColorKitten April 12, 2011 at 7:11 am

I love this bodice! Don’t switch! Although looks like you might need those little bra strap loops on it. And I think you need this dress in SEVEN fabrics so you can wear it every day for real.

Frances from Florida April 12, 2011 at 7:27 am

Erin — just read “the book” and loved, loved, loved it. Raced throught it and kept thinking: “Must slow down. Do not finish. Too good. Must slow down.” But just couldn’t stop reading. Your grandmother would be very proud!

Cathy April 12, 2011 at 8:00 am

Chambray, I think would be great. Also, a nice summer-weight something like eyelet, lawn, or I really want seersucker to work, but I don’t think it will. A madras plaid would be fun but ambitious. A very large polka dot might be nice too. The possibilities are endless – I can see why you needed the pattern.

Cathy April 12, 2011 at 8:13 am

Pencil skirt or flared skirt?

Deja April 12, 2011 at 8:16 am

Love it. I just started working/learning from a professional seamstress on sewing vintage. I love the bodice, I say stick with it. This really makes me want to up my skills so I can sew something this fancy! xoxo

Beth Vandemore April 12, 2011 at 10:53 am

I love that it’s a cummerbund!

It was so great to meet you last week!

beth

Lydia April 12, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I. Love. That. Neckline.

That is all.

dulcet April 12, 2011 at 1:42 pm

1. Weren’t you just asking what to do with a black eyelet? Though that wouldn’t constitute an every-day dress.

B. My crazy brain says contrasting color for the center front panel of the bodice and skirt, plus the cumberbund/midriff band. (Think Swedish or Danish flag.) Yes, I have very juvenile tastes.

Dr. Julie-Ann April 12, 2011 at 1:59 pm

My first thought was that it would wonderful in a piqué in a nice spring or summer color.

(I’ll try not to be terribly jealous that you found this pattern before I did)

Bramble April 12, 2011 at 2:36 pm

So very Laura Petrie! I think it would be beautiful in a slubby silk shantung but that is hardly an everyday look unless you are livin’ large! Maybe a eyelet type chambray? The best of both worlds and kind of casual/cute. I like the pocket idea too. Linen would be my other suggestion but something with a texture or embroidered pattern maybe.

Martha April 12, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I love this dress! And I love your word: pocketized! I’ve needed that word, and now I have it!

Tess April 12, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I think it would be great for summer in classic seersucker! Of course, it would probably need a lining or something for some support, but I love the way it’s so easy to wear and always looks great.

Nessy April 12, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Please don’t use the Heidi bodice!!

The Heidi is nice, don’t get me wrong, but the beautiful neckline on this pattern is perfection! That lovely “boat” neckline is one of the most flattering cuts that exist on the planet and those little “v” cutouts are such a lovely feature.

The pockets are a must. Since you are heading towards warmer weather (oh how I envy you….) I think a cotton floral print would be just divine…

Gosh this pattern is nice!

Juliet April 12, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Raw silk. will keep you cool and keep you warm. Nice geranium pink or peacock blue/
Or pique for summer, either white or a print with carnations on it……

Jen O April 12, 2011 at 9:29 pm

It’s got that cool extended shoulder/armhole that turns up often in the Balenciaga exhibit currently in SF (you are going to see that, aren’t you?)

Lauar April 13, 2011 at 4:50 am

Large print black on white floral pique for summer. Very retro.

Shelley April 13, 2011 at 5:21 am

I juat finished your book over the weekend, and now my 16 year old apparel-designer wanna-be is reading it. Thanks for such a charming story – I loved every minute of it :) Makes me want to run a vintage clothing store… and probably every one else that reads it too…

YYZ April 13, 2011 at 7:12 am

Oh, my HEAVENS! I am soooo jealous! I neeeeeed View A! Please post photos when you have made your dress! :)

KackieC April 13, 2011 at 8:36 am

How about using that spiffy black cotton lace you are wondering what to do with? You could stitch up the dress in a soft cotton or washed linen in pale blue or fuschia (or a print with orange and fuschia- such a great summer combo). Then do the cummerbund, some patch pockets in a fun shape, and a little edging around the armholes, neckline, and skirt hem in the black lace.

Susan D April 13, 2011 at 8:40 am

Very nice. That’s the most cheerful picture I’ve seen all week.

And oh, the co-ordinated shoes!

I’m thinking a cheery floral print.

Lisa Deeley Smith April 13, 2011 at 11:42 am

Pink polished cotton, just like in the picture.

Packrat April 13, 2011 at 12:13 pm

This is one of those patterns that can be dressed up or down. Wonderful design. Cotton prints (probably no obvious pattern to the print), cotton blends, stable knits, the list goes on and on. As to combining the Heidi with this one, why not? Be sure to show us the made up version. :)

Jennifer April 13, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Green: Quick – hold my bag. That is Warren over there and I need both hands free.
Pink: I am directing that handsome stranger over there to the back drawing room – your bag is your problem.
Green: I love this party already.

Cel April 15, 2011 at 1:39 pm

pique, definitely

The Domina April 15, 2011 at 4:46 pm

the midriff band….this always stumps me, who has a very short midriff. Does the bottom seam of the band go at the waist, or can you put it lower creating a drop-waist (and essentially longer torso) effect? Should the top seam of the band hit just under the bust, like an empire waist, or lower, as in the picture? Ah, these are the questions I struggle with, and probably why I avoid dresses with waist seams. Sigh.

Elle Kaye April 16, 2011 at 4:20 pm

The full-skirt version in polished cotton, in your favorite medium-size floral print, cummerbund in solid color to match one of the colors in the print.

Slim skirt version in silk tussah – lined of course!

MadDor April 17, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Love the neckline! And I think a seersucker would be perfect for this dress. I love linen, but have such trouble keeping them wrinkle free.

weriem April 22, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I LOVE this pattern! Did you choose a fabric, finally?