This is another Butterick 6820, a full Butterick 6820, much more recent than Wednesday’s.
It is a really fun dress, isn’t it?
I love the combination of mustard and red (this is some fabric I bought in Japan):
The collar turned out okay, not great:
The biggest problem with this dress is that the sleeve wings make it difficult to throw a cardigan on over it — you get lumpy uncomfortable bunching right at the bicep.
The pockets are HUGE:
I did another side-placket zipper with this one, mostly because I didn’t have a red invisible zipper handy:
Here’s the back:
I suppose now that I’ve made two bird-themed Butterick 6820s I should be on the lookout for one more birdish fabric to use, right? Since good things come in threes?
I made this dress back in 2007:
Here’s a closeup view of the bodice:
A few of the commenters on the original posting were all “Couldn’t you have matched the print?” and now I think they were right.
The bodice is Butterick 6820, but I can’t remember what the skirt was (other than not Butterick 6820). It’s a good skirt, though, so I should figure it out … I think it’s the same skirt as from the Eiffel Tower dress.
Here’s the sleeve detail:
And pocket detail:
Here’s the side zip — a placket and ordinary (not invisible) zipper!
If you look not-all-that-closely you will see that the birds are UPSIDE DOWN on the back bodice:
Even though I had a traumatic pen accident with this dress, I can’t seem to take it out of my closet:
(There’s a [very old] picture of me wearing this dress here.)
During my blog-hiatus I did not stop sewing, oh no. I actually tore through quite a few patterns (literally and figuratively, ulp):
This is Butterick 6820, and I’ve made at least the bodice of it once before, but was always scared off from making the skirt by the fullness and the patch pockets. But … it’s always best to tackle things you’re scared of head-on (right?) so I took a deep breath and went for it. Here are those tricky pockets (which turned out to be not so bad):
This bird fabric is part of the stash I bought in Japan; the red fabric is the same as that bright red dress I made a while back (there was more than enough left over for the facings here). The reds matched so well, I couldn’t resist!
Here’s a closeup of the collar:
And I didn’t have a red invisible zipper, or a mustard one, so I went old-school and used a metal zipper. This will probably confound anyone who tries to date this dress at some later point. Sorry, clothing historians!
That is most definitely not the best zipper I’ve ever put in … I will probably take it out and replace it at some point. It’s also scratchy (as metal zippers are wont to be).
Here’s the rear view:
This is a fun dress to make and wear, but I’m not sure it will see a lot of use, either as a pattern or in this incarnation … those winged sleeves just don’t work well under a cardigan. Maybe I’ll pull this pattern out again next time I find some bird fabric I love …