Happy New Year! Here, Have a Hat!

by Erin on January 1, 2012

Happy New Year! I spent all my blogging hiatus/holidays (well, it felt like all my blogging hiatus/holidays) cleaning up my office/sewing room, and in the process I found this:

Halo_hat_small

It's a pattern for this hat:

Screen shot 2012-01-01 at 8.04.33 PM

Pretty cool, huh? I have absolutely NO idea where it came from, but it came to light as I shoveled through piles of paper. So I ran it down to Fedex and their nice large-bed scanners and got it digitized for y'all. Here's a PDF to download.

If you make it, send me a picture! Veil optional. (Extra points if you make in gold lame for that chic nimbus effect.)

Brassandlace.wordpress.com January 1, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I am reminded of Guinan from Star Trek Next Gen.

Tina Sutherland January 2, 2012 at 12:36 am

Great minds think alike, I posted a hat pattern today too;

Cathy Kizerian January 2, 2012 at 9:20 am

My first thought was of Guinan, too, LOL. My second thought was of the lady in a vintage postcard that I posted on my blog (second postcard) here: http://cathyscrazybydesign.blogspot.com/2011/12/happy-new-year-vintage-images-for-you.html

What are these strange hat vibes that are running rampant? LOL

Heather January 2, 2012 at 10:20 am

Ooooooh! A HAT pattern! Thanks very much! I just love hats. Perhaps not gold lame, although I could do that, but maybe a nice dark chartreuse velvet.

Nathalie January 2, 2012 at 11:17 am

What a fabulous hat, thank you for the pattern. I’ve now discovered that “American Beauty” is the name of a colour, presumably that of the rose of the same name. That hat in a vibrant pink, Wow!

LinB January 2, 2012 at 11:27 am

Hahaha! I, too, immediately thought of Whoopi Goldberg when I saw this hat. Then images of renaissance fairs tripped across my mind’s eye. Still, it is a lovely chapeau. Happy New Year, and thanks for the hat.

WendyBee January 2, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Ooooh! I’d like to think that I’ll give this hat a try! I looooove it — especially with the veil! Can’t wait to see if anyone tries it.

Hollywood Hills Cookie January 2, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Could be mistaken, of course, but I believe this might be an Air Dirigible Hostess hat?

YpsiLiz January 2, 2012 at 3:17 pm

OT – that was a nice write-up in the NYT on Sunday! Cute pic, too! The hat in this post looks like fun.

Erin January 2, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Thank you!

dulcet January 3, 2012 at 7:36 am

I guess I’ve seen a few Christmas cards lately, because picturing this in gold lame made me think of a halo on the Virgin Mary.

Val January 3, 2012 at 9:19 am

How fun! It reminds me of a hat I saw in a movie I watched on Netflix this weekend – GLorious 39. Thanks for the pattern. I might have to give it a try…

Kathleen January 3, 2012 at 8:11 pm

What an awesome hat! What are the dimensions of the paper the pattern is on?

Thanks for a fabulous pro bono hat pattern!

Erin January 3, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Kathleen — it’s about 17 x 22. My local printshop was able to print it for me, no problem, for about $2.

n cooper January 6, 2012 at 9:02 am

I just printed the pattern for the staff of our museum and library to have as one of our choices for an upcoming hat making day. We are going to wear hats, including our hand crafted ones, in support of an exhibit called “Hang on to Your Hats: Hats from the Collection of the Fort Morgan Museum”

Erin January 6, 2012 at 9:03 am

Oh fantastic! Please send pictures!