I still can't seem to stop with Simplicity 1577. I made this one a while back:
It's from some of the fabric I bought on my last trip to Japan. It's a very, very fine-wale plaid corduroy, almost a velveteen.
Sorry for the dark photos — dark dress, dark room:
Matched plaids on the front skirt! (This was easier than I thought, I used instructions from the Colette Sewing Handbook.)
Not so much matching on the back — I ran out of fabric! But then again, if you're spending enough time looking at my rear to notice that the plaid isn't precisely matched, there's another discussion we should be having.
The fabric was heavy enough that I lined the collar with a lightweight black fabric, instead of self-lining it:
And a slightly brighter view of the bodice:
This fabric is so soft and comfortable to wear — it's lighter-weight than it looks, so the skirt doesn't quite hang as nicely as in the denim and seersucker versions. But it's not a huge difference. It does pick up quite a bit of lint (especially in the wash).
I think it may be time for another one … I have some heavy corded cotton that might be just the ticket!